« The Story of My Life | Main | Vacation in Paradise »

Why people quit: I don't like you!

Apparently a recent Gallup poll has deduced that the number one reason people leave their jobs is bad bosses: No. 1 Reason People Quit Their Jobs
"More than 1 million employees can't be wrong, so bosses take heed of this. A Gallup poll of more 1 million employed U.S. workers concluded that the No. 1 reason people quit their jobs is a bad boss or immediate supervisor."

While this was definitely true for me recently, my dissatisfaction right now is primarily salary-based. I'm in a professional position that requires a Master's degree. I and many others in my position in the college have Ph.Ds, as well as other experience well beyond the minimum required. Yet other people in similar positions around campus earn $8-10,000 more than I do for similar entry-level requirements.

I understand that I am not faculty (whether I should earn a similar salary is a different question alltogether), but I see very little evidence that salary decision-makers understand that I chose student services over a faculty position. I could go on the job market if I want. But I don't want. I feel that my time and energy is much better spent in student services positions.

Bad bosses are certainly quite common. But I'd argue that salary is a very close second....

My solution to the problem is that talented people like you with PhDs should apply for positions like the one at: http://www.capella.edu/reborn/html/Employment/jobs/writing_program_coordinator.aspx

Hey, Danielle! Just wanted to let you know I got your message about your blog and I've added it to my favorites list! How fun!