« Shilo | Main | Don't mess with me »

Good doggies

Many of you have seen/heard this story already, but I thought I'd highlight it here as well. Apparently, while a man was trying to shoot a litter of unwanted puppies, one of them stepped on the trigger and managed to shoot him. Ya gotta love semi-happy endings:

CNN Article link: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/09/shooting.dog.ap/index.html

Pup shoots man, saves litter mates
Thursday, September 9, 2004 Posted: 11:15 AM EDT (1515 GMT)

The four surviving puppies are being treated at the Escambia County Animal Shelter.

PENSACOLA, Florida (AP) -- Nice shootin', Rex!

A man who tried to shoot seven puppies was shot himself when one of the dogs put its paw on the revolver's trigger.

Jerry Allen Bradford, 37, was charged with felony animal cruelty, the Escambia County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday. He was being treated at a hospital for a gunshot wound to his wrist.

Bradford said he decided to shoot the 3-month-old shepherd-mix dogs in the head because he couldn't find them a home, according to the sheriff's office.

On Monday, Bradford was holding two puppies -- one in his arms and another in his left hand -- when the dog in his hand wiggled and put its paw on the trigger of the .38-caliber revolver. The gun then discharged, the sheriff's report said.

Deputies found three of the puppies in a shallow grave outside Bradford's home, said sheriff's Sgt. Ted Roy.

The other four appeared to be in good health and were taken by Escambia County Animal Control, which planned to make them available for adoption

In other news, apparently some dogs are able to detect cancer. They haven't found a way to make the tests practical yet, but I'm all for trying. Imagine going to the hospital, providing a standard urine sample, and having one of the cancer-sniffing dogs on staff detecting cancer. When they delivered the news to you, you could then respond in the presence of a dog, an animal known to lower heart rates and ease stress. And when the dog wasn't performing its duty detecting cancer, it could be in the wards as a therapy dog. Talk about multi-purpose jobs....

Salon.com article link: http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/09/24/dogs/index.html

Study shows dogs able to smell cancer

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Emma Ross

Sept. 24, 2004 | LONDON (AP) -- It has long been suspected that man's best friend has a special ability to sense when something is wrong with us. Now the first experiment to verify that scientifically has demonstrated that dogs are able to smell cancer.

Experts say it's unlikely that pooches will become practical partners in cancer detection any time soon, but the results of the study, outlined this week in the British Medical Journal, are promising.

They show that when urine from bladder cancer patients was set out among samples from healthy people or those with other diseases, the dogs -- all ordinary pets _ were able to identify the cancer patients' urine almost three times more often than would be expected by chance alone.

"The issue is not whether or not they can detect cancer, because clearly they can. The issue is whether you can set up a system whereby they can communicate with you. That requires further ingenuity,'' said Tim Cole, a professor of medical statistics at Imperial College in London, who was unconnected with the study and is the owner of a chocolate Labrador retriever.

David Neal, a bladder and prostate cancer surgeon at Cambridge University in England, said it's plausible dogs might be able to pick up the scent of cancer because people with the disease shed abnormal proteins in their urine.

"I'm skeptical about whether it will be implementable, but scientifically it should be followed up,'' said Neal, a spokesman for Cancer Research UK, Britain's cancer society, who was not involved in the research. "It might be that the dogs are better than our current machines at picking up abnormal proteins in the urine. What are the dogs picking up? Can we get a machine that does the same?''

It is thought that a dog's sense of smell is generally 10,000 to 100,000 times better than a human's.

The idea that dogs may be able to smell cancer was first put forward in 1989 by two London dermatologists, who described the case of a woman asking for a mole to be cut out of her leg because her dog would constantly sniff at it, even through her trousers, but ignore all her other moles.

One day, the dog, a female border collie-Doberman mix, had tried to bite the mole off when the woman was wearing shorts.

It turned out she had malignant melanoma -- a deadly form of skin cancer. It was caught early enough to save her life.

Then in 2001, two English doctors reported a similar case of a man with a patch of eczema on his leg for 18 years. One day his pet Labrador started to persistently sniff the patch, even through his trousers. It turned out he had developed skin cancer and, once the tumor was removed, the dog showed no further interest in the eczema patch.

A handful of similar anecdotes have since been reported, but the latest study is the first rigorous test of the theory to be published.

The experiment, conducted by researchers at Amersham Hospital in Buckinghamshire, England, and the organization Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, set out to prove whether dogs could be trained to detect cancer.

Six dogs -- all pets of the trainers -- were used in the study. They included three working strain cocker spaniels, one papillon, a Labrador and a mongrel.

The trainers used urine from bladder cancer patients, from people sick with unrelated diseases and from healthy people to train the dogs over seven months to select the cancer-unique elements by process of elimination. They learned to ignore differences in the urine samples that were due to age, sex, infection, diet and other factors.

Urine from 36 bladder cancer patients and 108 comparison volunteers was used. Each dog had to sniff seven urine samples and lie down next to the one from a bladder cancer patient. The test was repeated eight times for each dog, with new urine samples every time.

Taken as a group, they correctly selected the right urine on 22 out of 54 occasions, giving an average success rate of 41 percent. By chance alone, you'd expect them to be accurate one-seventh, or 14 percent, of the time.

The two best dogs, Tangle and Biddy -- both cocker spaniels -- were right 56 percent of the time, according to trainer Andrew Cook. The papillon Eliza, tied with Bea, the third cocker spaniel, followed by the Labrador, Jade. Bringing up the rear was Toddy the mongrel.

"Toddy, bless him, was working at a rate no better than chance, really, but we still love him,'' Cook said.

One of the cancer patients was identified correctly by all six dogs, whereas two other cancer patients were consistently missed, indicating that perhaps the strength of the urine signal varies from person to person, or according to severity of the disease.

Perhaps the most intriguing finding, though, was in a comparison patient whose urine was used during the training phase. All the dogs unequivocally identified that urine as a cancer case, even though screening tests before the experiment had shown no cancer.

Doctors conducted more detailed tests on the patient and found a life-threatening tumor in the right kidney.

Can I make a suggestion? I feel youve acquired one thing good here. However what if you happen to added a pair links to a web page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you possibly can give us something to take a look at, something that would join what youre saying to one thing tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

Fully perceive what your stance in this matter. Though I would disagree on among the finer details, I feel you probably did an superior job explaining it. Positive beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

I have to say, I dont know if its the clashing colors or the bad grammar, however this blog is hideous! I imply, I dont need to sound like a know-it-all or anything, but could you've got probably put a bit bit extra effort into this subject. Its really fascinating, however you dont characterize it effectively at all, man. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good supply like this.

Great write-up, I am an enormous believer in commenting on blogs to help the weblog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world extensive web! (source roblox-cheats.com). Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good source like this.

Utterly understand what your stance in this matter. Though I'd disagree on some of the finer particulars, I think you did an superior job explaining it. Certain beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

Took me time to read all of the feedback, but I really loved the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters right here! It's always good when you can not solely be informed, but in addition engaged! I'm positive you had pleasure penning this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

I came across your blog when I was searching for dog eczema. Found your article instead. Interesting.