« Rejection makes me sick | Main | A little light reading »

Shilo and Kodi

Well, apparently Shilo has not worked for my mother. She has a nasty habit of escaping both yard and kennel, and seems to be chewing everything. So Mom is returning her to the shelter. That's always a difficult decision to make, perhaps even more difficult than the decision to euthanize.

Which brings us to the issue of Kodi. Mom went to the shelter and found Shilo in the first place because Lena was so lonely and depressed. And if you've ever seen a depressed Newfie, you'll know what I mean when I say that's not a good thing. One-hundred-twenty + pounds of depression in a big, black fur coat, with big brown eyes...

So Mom is ready to adopt Kodi. Now! This goes back to my earlier entry about being a good dog parent. It's not that we don't love Kodi (at least for what he is), but I'm sure he'll be happier with Mom, eventually.

It's the eventually part that's hard. He has had a lot of upheaval in his life recently, particularly in being shipped out to Minnesota at 5 years old with these strange people. He seems to have bonded to me, maybe because I'm the pushover in the family, but also, I think, because I'm sort of like his first Mom...who had to find a good home for him. I know she won't be concerned that he's living with Mom, though she might question her judgement about asking me in the first place.

I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thanks , I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your web site?

One thing that I think will help in the transition for Kodi is that Danielle and I have similar body habitats and very similar voices. Kodi will, of course, know the difference, but hopefully the similarities will help the transition. Poor little Remy is going to be berift now, though.

As difficult as it may be...you are doing the right thing. So is your mom. It sounds as if you have thought this through very carefully, and put the interests of Kodi first. I do know how tough it is to admit to yourself you are not the best person for this dog. That facing of failure can be quite painful. But by admitting that, everyone will gain. Kodi will (probably quite quickly) become acclimated to the new environment, and rejoice....Lena will be thrilled to have a new companion. The only one who is left doubting is you. But the fact that you even addressed this issue demonstrates that your heart is in the right place. You are placing Kodis needs first. A true sign of a compassionate person. Though it is tough, you have done well.

Sounds like you are all doing the right thing. He'll like his new home I bet.

you and your mom are being a good dog parents by recognizing that some dogs just aren't a good match for you. usually, you don't get to date your dog before he or she moves in. you don't get to learn all about her stupid habits, phobias and emotional baggage. it's like a blind date that never ends.

I'm sure this isn't an easy decision, but I'm sure everyone will be happier: your mom and Lena, you and Scott, and of course, slobbery sweet Kodi. I know you'll do everything you can to ease his transition to another new home.