« Veterans' Day | Main | Insanity »

Pet Therapy

I've been waiting for the perfect time for these two comics. When my stepmother sent me the little email story at the bottom, I guess that was my signal that the time is right.

stress release.gif

purr therapy

PETS - WHY DON'T THEY LIVE AS LONG AS PEOPLE?

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it > would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt Shane could learn something from the experience. The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life-like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

I read this story too and even blogged about it also. As much as I love these dogs it doesn't surprise me that they would be the teacher of this sort of lesson.

Yep, made me cry as I sit here with Annie on my lap, Kodi by the door, Lena by the chair, and Shilo running in and out. I don't know how to print stuff from your blog. Could you e-mail me this so I can share it with my good friend, Peggy?

Well, that just made me cry as well.

Geez! I'm gonna stop reading your blog if it makes me cry. :) Great story.