« The Evolution of . . . | Main | Snow »

Adoption

shelter.gif

As everyone knows by now, we adopted Payton (yes, the name has stuck; he's got his official name tag now) from a rescue organization, as well as Remy and Caela before him. If you're looking for a pet, please don't be afraid to look at shelter and rescue organizations. If the fit isn't right, the animal can be returned, and the more the organization knows about the animal, the better it can place it appropriately. See my previous entry on animal adoption to know how serious I am about this subject.

Now, I'm not ruling out the idea of purchasing a pure-bred pet from a responsible breeder. A responsible breeder is someone who is in the breeding business to improve the breed, not to make money or see the "miracle of birth" or allow Daisy one last fling [a chance to be a mother] before she is spayed. Responsible and reputable breeders have done their research, and should sell any pup (or kitten, but you all know that I'm dog-centric) that does not meet the breed standards, but will be a fine companion. If a breeder offers you a "pet-quality" companion dog, but does not offer a contract stipulating spay/neuter, chance are good that s/he/they are not responsible breeders.

I've managed to save up roughly $51438 in my bank account, but I'm not sure if I should buy a house or not. Do you think the market is stable or do you think that home prices will decrease by a lot?

Wow, congratulations on your new dog! Just Saturday we got our second dog. The first one we got from the humane society and her previous owners stated the reason for giving her up was, "Not enough time." Our second dog we got from a rescue organization, who got the dog from an out of state shelter. They stated that this dog was 'left' at a house when the owners moved away. Max is a beautiful mix between a Norwegian Elkhound and German Shepard and is 7 months old. I can't imagine how anyone could just leave one of their family members behind! Especially one as cute as Max! Max and Molly are getting along great too. Of course we took her along to interview Max before taking him home with us. Everything sniffed out ok. haha. My opinion of these rescue organizations are very high right now. If not for them, Max would have been euthenized by the shelter. So this really was his last hope. I can't believe that someone else didn't snatch him up because he's such a good dog; obedient, well behaved, house broken, cute...he is not only pet quality, he's family quality! Thanks for your great post!