« Bad Prezzies | Main | Little cat feet »

pets in disasters

fb050102.gif

Unfortunately, I sympathize with this strip a little too much. I was rather distraught as we were leaving Texas to see several dogs running loose by the highways (this was before we hit the interstate), and at least one dog dead on the road.

But in the larger perspective, we've heard a lot about the human casualties of the tsunami, but what about the animal casualties? That's going to be a problem as well--pets without owners, owners without pets, stray dogs and cats, wild/feral dogs and cats, etc.

I often wonder about my own fur-kids if something tragic were to happen. We wouldn't be able to stay at most shelters, and I wouldn't leave the dogs at home or anywhere else where they couldn't get food or water.

That's it. We're heading for the hills. :-)

The more people I meet the more I like my dog

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
-Josh Billings

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."
-Louis Sabin

"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends."
-Alexander Pope

"If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons."
-James Thurber

"The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog."
-George Graham

"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe, we are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made."
-Roger Caras

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
-Konrad Lorenz

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"
-Theodorus Gaza

I think it quite understandable that people care more about their dogs, than other people...The dog has earned it....

Did you hear about that dog that saved the 7 year old? The mother took her younger kids to safety but had to leave her oldest - the dog somehow dragged him along. Amazing stuff.

I don't think it's uncommon for people to care about their pets or even animals in general more than other people.