« Tail's a'waggin' | Main | Literary Hounds »

When I grow up, I want to be a .....

nq050118.gif

I'm getting rather bored with my current job, but I'm nervous about looking for jobs outside of academia. I've heard about glass ceilings and cut-throat employment practices, etc.

I've started my independent study general bio class, though, so maybe if I can stick it out here for long enough, I'll have the credits to transfer to someplace like Argosy University and pursue vet tech training. Not so much that I want a job as a vet tech, but I want to know the information.

My current position doesn't so much have a glass ceiling as not very many opportunities to move up. Advisers can be Assistant, Associate, or Senior, but the job is essentially the same. In June 2006 I should be qualified for promotion to Associate (according to the rules of my current position), but the job is essentially the same.

From adviser, it's possible to move into a Community Coordinator position, if one is vacant, that is. The last coordinator vacancy was in summer 2002, and was filled just before I started working here. (I did apply for the position when the job was posted, but I now know why I was never even interviewed.)

From coordinator, moving up becomes even more difficult. The coordinators report to the Director of Advising, who reports to the Assistant Dean of Student Services. That's not very much of a promotional chain, and it's not even a promotional chain that I think I want to pursue.

Reading Level.gif

The other problem I have is that I'm over-educated, and therefore, over-qualified, for most positions outside of academia. People see Ph.D. on my transcript, and wonder why I'm not teaching. (I'll tell you why...do you have a few hours?)

Part of the problem is the salary level. Everyone at the U seems to know that CLA pays its advisers the lowest rates. At one of the interviews I had last fall, the manager told me the salary I could expect. He started out apologetically, saying that he knows it's low, but .... oh yeah, you work in CLA. You know about low salaries.

I'm also tired of having the same conversation with every student I see. a) Why do you want a bachelor of science degree? Because I'm going to med school. b) Why do you want to be a chemistry major? Because I'm going to pharmacy school. c) Why do you want to be a science major? Because I want a job. While I continually try to reinforce the ideas (read, bulls--t [?]) I was told about the qualities of a good, well-rounded, liberal arts education, and that no one is really paying attention to what type of degree someone has, and that it's possible to get a good job with a BA in history, it becomes more difficult when I'm among the lowest paid positions (for the requirements of my job class) in the college that pays the lowest.

Ah, but orientation calls. Time to welcome a new round of students to CLA, students who applied here because they couldn't immediately get into the College of Biological Sciences or the Institute of Technology, and who will be transferring to those colleges as soon as possible.

My aunt leaves off here PHD on her resume...don't know if that helps or not.