« I'll stick with bananas | Main | Yoga »

Training Double-Header

Ok, so one was funny, but two must be a sign...both of these are more or less from today (I read Rhymes with Orange online, so it's about 2 weeks late):

training.gif

MGG0202.gif

Training is a very tricky thing. Just like kids, dogs are unique individuals with their own minds. One popular theory is that you give the command once. If the dog doesn't obey, then you work with the dog so that it understands the command you just gave--say "sit" as you are physically putting the dog into a sitting position.

Clicker training is the big thing right now. When the dog does what you want, you click and reward with a treat. Over time you stop giving the treat, and just click to indicate that's what you want. Does it work? I've never tried it myself, but there are legions of devotees to this method. Many of the training clubs in the Twin Cities endorse clicker training, and even offer classes for the humans to learn how to do it properly.

Lori, that sounds like a better way anyway. Dogs respond to affection and love far better. And they don't put on any extra weight that way!

Many of the training clubs in the Twin Cities [...] offer classes for the humans to learn how to do it properly.

Do they train the humans with clicker training? :)

Yes and no. Yes because the dog does recognize that they are being rewarded for doing a good thing. Trouble is some dogs (mine) refuse to perform if food is not involved. No when your friends kids come over and want to play with the clicker and your dog gets all excited because she thinks she gets a treat. No when you are sitting on the couch and the dog does something great and you have no clicker handy.

I have lots of clickers around the house if you want to try it. I don't use them anymore. Who needs a clicker when you can just say "Good dog!" and shower them with attention?