« Reading Log: Death of a Gossip | Main | Morning Visitors »

Reading Log: The Changeling Sea

0141312629.01._AA_SCTZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Patricia McKillip has long been one of my favorite authors, and I just discovered The Changeling Sea by browsing on Amazon. McKillip has taken the traditional story of the human baby changed with a fairy child and moved the story to the sea. The King of the land loved the Queen of the sea, but had to marry a human-born woman. Both women bore him a son; the King's wife died, and the sea Queen gave him their son and took the human born child. The changeling, Kir, had always been drawn to the sea; his heart's desire was to return there. The human child, on the other hand, became a sea dragon, chained to the sea by the Queen's anger. All it took was a young fisherman's daughter to begin unravelling the magic of the sea.

The first McKillip story I ever read was The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. Then I moved on to the Riddle Master trilogy (now available in one volume, The Riddle-Master's Game), which are some of the best fantasy books I've ever read. I think they will always be my favorites of MicKillip's, but she is definitely up there in my favorite authors.

I like Hamish, you would love her Agatha Raisin, too....look for some of those titles.
Caroline