« And I thought it was "bicycling" | Main | Reading Log: The Beekeeper's Apprentice »

Book Meme

I've seen this a couple of places now, and it looks like fun. Probably won't answer everything at once...work to do, and all that. But at least here are the questions:

1. A book that changed your life.
Way to Rainy Mountain by N. Scott Momaday--this was the book that turned my attention from studying Sir Walter Scott for my master's degree to Native American literature; I could also add Life Among the Piutes: Their Wrongs and Claims by Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins which moved my dissertation research from contemporary Native literature to late nineteenth-/early twentieth-century Native/white literatures....

2. A book you've read more than once.
Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt; Susan Conant's Holly Winter mysteriess; Owen Wister's The Virginian; among many others

3. A book you'd want on a desert island.

4. A book that made you giddy.

5. A book that you wish had been written.

6. A book that wracked you with sobs.
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls; any book that has an animal getting hurt or abandoned

7. A book you wish had never been written.
There are several that I've thought of for this answer. Someone mentioned Ann Coulter's book (or shall we say, bo oks?). I also have a huge bias against celebrity auto/biographies. If they're celebrities, don't they make enough money anyway? Do they really need to exploit the awestruck mass of sheep who lead lives of quiet desperation (with apologies to Thoreau)?

But none of these comes close to the best response I've seen yet. I am going to outright steal Crooked Paw's answer to this one:

"I'm probably going to upset a few people with this answer.
The Bible.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Bible is a bad book, but if ever there has been a symbol of fundamentalism, the Bible is it. Perhaps, in the beginning, it was looked upon as a guide to life and the worship of God, but over the centuries it has been used as a tool of subjugation, oppression, fanaticism, apartheid, and countless other attrocities. Organised religion siezed upon it and held it up as evidence of their peity, whilst at the same time ostracising those who did not share their beliefs.
Good or bad, full of contradictions and ambiguities, this book has polarised the peoples of Earth, and you cannot convince me that this is a good thing."

Add to that the fact that people tend to get carried away in the literalness of said work. Come on, people. Nothing that is written down is absolutely 100% no mistakes completely and utterly true. Everything spoken or written is shaded with the author's bias. Regardless of who dictated said text to which disciple.

8. A book you are currently reading.

9. A book you've been meaning to read.

10. Tag 10.
Since I have a very limited scope of readers, it's probably not worth tagging anyone. But please feel free to do if you're interested.