« A Very Gorey Death | Main | Ouch »

The Office Game -- The Annotated Edition

Stolen shamelessly from CrazyAuntPurl. I've added some of my own commentary in italics.

The Office Game

Spice up your office with The Office Game -- pick two or three colleagues and agree to play The Office Game which awards points as follows:

* ONE POINT

Run one lap around the office at top speed. Walk sideways to the photocopier.

Find the vacuum and start vacuuming around your desk. has been known to happen in the office (though not by me), especially when the mice are plentiful

When they're not looking, pour most of someone's fresh cup of coffee into your mug leaving them with an inch of brew.

Ignore the first five people who say 'good morning' to you.

Phone someone in the office you barely know, leave your name and say "Just called to say I can't talk right now. Bye."

To signal the end of a conversation, clamp your hands over your ears and grimace. isn't this how all advisers end their appointments?

While riding an elevator, gasp dramatically every time the doors open. I've been on some elevators where I'd be out of breath if I did this. Nonetheless, our building doesn't have an elevator, so no can do. :-(

*** THREE-POINTS

Babble incoherently at a fellow employee then ask "Did you get all that, I don't want to have to repeat it." - Double points if you do this to a manager. this is pretty similar to the conversations S and I frequently have at home.

Kneel in front of the water cooler and drink directly from the nozzle. better yet, drink directly from the jug that you are hoisting onto the water cooler because, yet again, you are the one who is left with no water unless you change it yourself. Doesn't matter that you're so short you practically have to lift the 5 gallon jug over your head to attach it to the cooler.

Shout random numbers while someone is counting. again, a fairly regular occurrence at home; more fun if you're totalling scores in dominoes, and the person counting is already winning

***** FIVE POINTS

At the end of a meeting, suggest that, for once, it would be nice to conclude with the singing of the national anthem (extra points if you actually launch into it yourself).

Walk into a very busy person's office and while they watch you with growing irritation, turn the light switch on/off 10 times. doesn't work as well when there are around 15 people working in the same space with only one light switch. Sure, you can confuse them for a few minutes, but then they start to gang up on you.

For an hour, refer to everyone you speak to as 'Bob'.

Announce to everyone in a meeting that you "really have to go do number two".

After every sentence, say 'mon' in a really bad Jamaican accent. As in, "the report's on your desk, mon". Keep this up for one hour.

While an office mate is out, move their chair into the elevator. again, no elevator, but this would be really, really funny.

In a meeting or crowded situation, slap your forehead repeatedly and mutter, "Shut up, all of you just shut up!" you mean I've been earning points all along? *slaps forehead* "Why didn't you guys tell me that?"

In a colleague's diary, write in 10 am: "See how I look in tights". better yet, in their online calendar and add an alarm to it

Carry your laptop over to your colleague and ask "You wanna trade?" wish I had a laptop I could trade with others; OIS seems to think they should keep the laptops

Repeat the following conversation 10 times to the same person: "Do you hear that?" "What?" "Never mind, it's gone now" common at home, not uncommon at work. Usually it's just the pigeons in the attic, though...

Come to work in army fatigues and when asked why, say, "I can't talk about it" wouldn't raise an eyebrow where I work...(for that one person who reads my blog who doesn't know where I work, my office is the only non-military office in my building...)

Speak with an accent (French, German, Porky Pig, etc.) during a very important conference call. like I receive very important conference calls

Tuck one pant leg into your sock and when queried, answer, "not now" and walk away. when queried about the pant leg? or queried about anything?

Feel free to make up your own rules to accompany these ones. :-)