« Spam, spam, spam | Main | Dogs on Thursday »

Reading Log: The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison

Lest anyone think I haven't been reading, I have been. Just haven't been posting about them as often as I should/would like to.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I picked up The Princess and the Hound because I thought the dog on the cover looked like a Great Dane. And because I'd seen it on another blog and it sounded good (I still haven't found the original post, so if you have come across it, please let me know!).

The story takes place in a kingdom where some people are born with animal magic. These people have the ability to communicate with animals in their own languages. But animal magic has been outlawed for many years, and those who have it have been forced to hide their powers to avoid many nasty punishments, the least of which usually ended in death.

But what if the queen and crown prince also have animal magic? And what if the princess of a neighboring kingdom, the princess to whom the crown prince is betrothed, has an unusually strong bond with her hound even though she doesn't have animal magic? And where does the doctor fit in?

I enjoyed the book. But I don't feel the need to buy it. The story-telling is just a little bit stilted...I really didn't care about any of the characters, except perhaps the hound, though much less so after we found out more about her. It might also have been difficult for me because, for the majority of the book, animals in general are reviled unless they have a specific purpose (hunting, food, trophies, etc.). No one has pets because that might cause them trouble even if they don't have animal magic. This concept is so foreign to me, that it might be one reason I didn't attach myself to the story.