« Moving to the upstairs | Main | DoT: Dogs on Beds »

Top Dogs: Minneapolis

Here are the top ten dogs in Mpls, according to the AKC profile:

MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL’S TOP DOGS

1. Labrador Retriever
2. Golden Retriever
3. German Shepherd
4. Boxer
5. English Springer Spaniel
6. Poodle
7. Yorkshire Terrier
8. Dachshund
9. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
10. Brittany

Local Statistical Snapshot

Two sporting dogs – the English Springer Spaniel and the Brittany – make an unusual appearance on Minneapolis-St. Paul’s Top 10 list. These breeds rank 27th and 29th nationally. Twin cities residents also placed a trendy breed in their Top 10. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has had the most gains of any AKC registered breed in the past decade (up 406%) yet it ranks 25th nationally. This energetic toy breed is compatible with city or country life.
The nationally popular Beagle, Shih Tzu and Bulldog failed to make it on the Twin Cities Top 10 list. The Bulldog, while making it into the 10th spot nationally, is in 13th place in Minneapolis-St. Paul. The Shih Tzu and Beagle placed 17th and 23rd, respectively.

“With two of the Twin Cities’ Top 10 being hunting dogs, I’d say that this is a city that identifies strongly with the sporting life,? says AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “Minneapolis-St. Paul is one of the only large cities in America to rank the Brittany and English Springer Spaniel so high – it’s a very unique list.?

click to see more cities at the AKC website

In some ways, it's not surprising, but I am disappointed to see the number of little dogs on the list. I suppose, though, that's probably as much a product of living in the city as anything. There is still the pervasive myth that large/giant breeds aren't good city/house/apartment dogs because they need a lot of space to run. To some extent, yes, they need space. But the majority of the giant breeds are couch potatoes for whom running is a pleasant exercise, if they must, but really, can't we just lay on the couch and watch TV? Rather than assuming size is the factor, people need to start looking at the breed's purpose and tendancies. Sporting dog? yes, needs to get out. Our friends' English Cocker Spaniel is one of the wildest children (good wild, but crazy nonetheless), and he probably weighs less than Payton's head and neck combined.

I agree with you. large dogs fit in with any lifestyle. All they need is love and good walks.

Atlanta's list was pretty close, except the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was 4th on the list, and Dobies were 9th. Miniature schauzers are apparently popular also.

I'm convinced that people don't actually treat little dogs like dogs. Little dogs get away with crap that big dogs NEVER could.

Give me a medium to large dog any day.