« Maybe it will work | Main | A voice for the arts »

Dogs on Thursday: Leashes

One of my daily comic strip reads is Dog Eat Doug. Several syndicates require a two-week lag to allow cartoonists to publish online, and this happens to be one of them. Even though I read this strip on Tuesday this week, it's original date was 4/15. (Click for a larger view.)

DogEatDog2008-04-15.gif

Leashes inspire the utmost excitement for my kids. Leashes mean GOING SOMEWHERE, or that SOMETHING IS HAPPENING. Both of the kids go completely nuts, and no peace will be had until the SOMETHING happens.

Once the leashes are on, however, the tables turn. Now, leashes are the restraint, that which is preventing the kids from enjoying the world the WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE ENJOYED. Payton has been known to completely forget what "come" means when he doesn't want to leave the dog park and he sees me adjust the leashes for leaving. "Oh, you meant stop having fun and be restrained again. I thought you meant let's keep playing for a while."

Is there any analog in the human world for what leashes mean to dogs? Is there anything we get completely crazy excited about only to feel restrained and oppressed by later? The only thing that comes to my mind is the depression that some people feel right after the craziness of Christmas morning has passed.

[Philosophical pondering aside, I love Sophie's question in this strip. Instead of the "My dog is smarter than your honor student" bumper sticker, I want one that reads "My dogs are better behaved than your children."]

It's amazing how excited they get when they realize they are going somewhere and doing something isn't it?! Wilbur & Charlotte will knock you down until they are out of the house once you jiggle the leashes.