« Dogs on Thursday: Toenails | Main | Doggy CPR »

Top Dogs: Minneapolis

Does doing it twice make a habit? When I saw this year's stats, I had a vague memory of posting the list last year--I just didn't remember when. Turns out, it was almost exactly the same time. That entry was Jan. 23, 2008--today is Jan. 22, 2009.

Here is this year's AKC entry:

1. Labrador Retriever
2. Golden Retriever
3. Boxer
4. German Shepherd Dog
5. English Springer Spaniel
6. Yorkshire Terrier
7. Poodle
8. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
9. Rottweiler
10. Brittany

* Registration data pulled from Minneapolis zip codes as specified by U.S. Postal Service

"While Minneapolis-St. Paul keeps the nation’s two most popular Sporting dogs in the top positions, it also added the Brittany and English Springer Spaniel – which are an unusual pair to see on any urban city’s Top 10 list," said AKC Spokesperson Lisa Peterson. "Plus, with the Rottweiler and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel also quite popular, there is no room for national favorites like the Beagle, Dachshund, Bulldog or Shih Tzu."

Again, the AKC commentator draws attention to the Brittany and English Springer Spaniel, not to mention the Cavalier King Charles. Not surprisingly, this year's list is very similar to last year's. The German Shepherd Dog (GSD) and Boxer have changed places for this year, as have the poodle and yorkie (I'm kind of surprised they aren't distinguishing between the different poodles; my guess is that this is really the miniature poodle, but do you suppose they would have thrown all poodles into one listing?). Cavaliers have dropped slightly. The only real change, though, is that Rottweiler has been added while Dachshunds have dropped off. Interesting.

I was listening to Lois May on KOOL 108 and she had this on her show the other morning too.

Not sure how I feel about have the top two dogs. :)