More fox

This picture comes from today's The Rainey Sisters blog:

foxyRainey Sisters.jpg

Right here in the Twin Cities!

Baby elephant!

Backpacker kitty

I want a shoulder cat....

Baby Giraffe-araffe

I don't have the code to actually embed this video, but if you click on the link, you'll see a video of the cute little baby giraffe from the Como Zoo who had to stay at the U Large Animal Vet Hospital recently. I even know a 4th year vet student who had the opportunity to work with this little guy. So cute.

New Artwork

I haven't shown any of my artwork recently, but I have done some. Click the thumbnails below for a much larger image. I had to use the scanner at work, which isn't the best of scanners, so there are some flaws that are simply a result of the scanner.

When I first saw Bill of the Birds' tri-colored heron picture, I knew that was one I wanted to paint. I'm no Julie Zickefoose when it comes to watercolor, but I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out.

tri-heron.JPG

I had a similar thought with Birdchick's wood duck picture. I wish I could make my water colors mimic that irridescence the feathers really have, but again, I'm pretty happy with this one overall.

wood duck.JPG

Finally, this is just a very quick, and not-completed pencil sketch of Kaya, a Dane from Australia whose blog I've been following. I was surprisingly devastated to learn that her people had to let her go after a very sudden illness. I don't plan to do any more work on this one, but I do love how her face came out for just a quick sketch.

reeves kaya.JPG

Extreme Sheepherding

This is way too cool not to share far and wide:

Crazy Goose

You know I love dogs. You know I hate to see critters hurt. But I did get a few chuckles out of this nutso goose who kept going after this man's dog. And kudos to the man for not wringing it's darn neck like I would've been tempted to do.

Perhaps the funniest part? He's videoing the whole thing while he's acting; truly a "first person" perspective here...

Lookin' foxy...

I love foxes. They're beautiful, creative, elusive, yada, yada, yada. Here are some of the ones I've seen around the inter-tubes recently:

funny pictures of cats with captions
more animals

See also: "transfur compleet," "crashed 1," "crashed 2,"and "retreiving file."

I can't speak for the others, but this guy (gal?) is real and has a Flickr page:

funnyƂ pictures
more animals

Check out the set...some really great pictures there.

Finally, a blog friend has a video of foxes on a trampoline:

(Not a fox, but here's some more fun trampoline action.)

Underwater fun

This short clip would make a great screen saver...especially the swarming sardines and the dolphins. But I'd take the whole thing.

I love the plumes from the gannets as they plunge, and the curiousity of the dolphins and seals. Oh, to be fabulously independently wealthy to be able to see this for myself.

Weatherman's Cat

Here's a charming Cute Overload entry about a German weatherman, Joerg Kachelmann, who ends up holding his kitty during the televising. Anyone who can be that cool and friendly to a curious cat while televising a segment has got my vote of approval.

Did you know...?

that Robins eat snow to get water? I'm watching four of them right now out my window (unfortunately I can't get a picture because my camera does not get good pictures through windows). They're sitting in the pine tree, eating mouthfuls of snow. Big fat robins. They're also singing, which is really neat on a cold winter morning.

Too funny not to share

Enjoy the drunken safari, courtesy of Cute Overload.

Spay/Neuter

6Chixkittens.gif

This woman was at the vet when I was there with Remy. She had one of her cats with her. We were chatting about the three super-cute little black kittens available for adoption when she mentioned that she had a litter at home...babies having babies was the essence of her chatter.

At the same time, there was a young man (mid-late twenties) with an adorable yellow lab puppy. The pup had been going through diarrhea and vomiting phases, which isn't atypical for pups...but it appeared that this young man was a first time puppy owner, so was concerned. This wasn't the problem; the problem was the pup is 7 weeks, and he'd had him for about a week, meaning weaned at 6 weeks. And he got him from "a guy over in ..... " Um, can you say backyard breeder?

I want to live where this is possible

Meeses in sprinklers

Just a quick peek at YouTube seems to indicate that meese love sprinklers. If I lived where meese were around, I'd keep the sprinklers going just for them. :-)

Courtesy of CuteOverload

Combination: Fourth mystery flower and birdie babies

The babies are getting bigger. I don't know how there's room for the three of them plus momma. Here are some beaks, and just because, a gratuitous butt shot:

(As always, click the pictures to see them "real" sized)

20080629-DSC_0142.jpg 20080629-DSC_0143.jpg 20080629-DSC_0144.jpg

My only regret about being gone next week is the chance that I'll miss them fledging. I just love having the babies around; I've not managed to photograph the mourning dove young-uns, but they're very cute too.

And here is the fourth mystery flower; I originally thought it was part of the pink one, but this is a completely different plant.

20080629-DSC_0146.jpg 20080629-DSC_0147.jpg

The first picture is the flower alone, and the second is of it with the pink mystery flower.

Birdie Babies

I've been watching a robin's nest in our red maple out front for several weeks now. I keep hoping we'll have nesting birds in our trees, but I so often don't ever see them. This one is pretty well hidden, with many leaves and branches blocking a good view. Then, a little while ago, I noticed that mom wasn't sitting on the nest anymore. I nearly held my breath until I saw one of the pair come back (I can't identify male v. female robins). But here is the reason she's not sitting anymore:

20080624-DSC_0117.jpg

There are actually three little ones in the nest that I've seen. There are only two little beaks here; they're so cute, just sitting with their beaks looking up over the edge of the nest. I did see all three earlier this evening, while also watching one of the parents dive-bombing a very quickly departing squirrel.

Click the picture to see a larger version. Unfortunately, she's so well hidden, it's very difficult to get a good picture. Between the lower light levels and the branches and leaves hiding the nest, most of my shots are blurry at best. But I hope to get some more as the babies get bigger. I won't be here for much of next week, so I might miss some prime action, but we'll see.

MN Zoo on Cute Overload

The Minnesota Zoo has a great commercial that found its way to Cute Overload this week. We haven't been to either of the local zoos in the 11 (gulp) years we've been here. I have mixed feelings about zoos: love the conservation/education mission, not so fond of the containment/exhibition aspects. But I imagine we'll visit one or both zoos before we leave the state.

Sleepy time bear

Watch this little video on CNN about a sleepy baby bear and try to stay awake yourself! It's hard to do, even when watching that nose-smooshing.

sleepy bear.jpg

White-Throated Sparrow

Two bird mysteries solved for me, and both lead to the same critter: 1) there's a type of non-house sparrow hanging out around my office, and 2) there's a song I hear in the mornings that I haven't been able to ID.

Both are the white-throated sparrow.

Click any picture for a larger view.

From my office window (blurry because it's through the glass):
W-TSp01.gif

At the Bell Museum:
W-TSp02.gif

W-TSp03.gif

W-TSp04.gif

W-TSp05.gif

Etsy for Animals

etsyanimals.jpg

I just found a new charity site, Etsy for Animals. Crafters can donate merchandise for sale on Etsy, and the proceeds go to the group's chosen charity, a different one each month.

I found the site because this month's animal sanctuary is one of my favorites, the Rolling Dog Ranch, in Ovando, MT. One of the things that makes Rolling Dog particularly special is that they focus on animals with disabilities, the ones that most shelters would euthanize as unadoptable. They've had a particularly rough year so far in 2008 with animal losses, both due to age and illness.

Etsy for Animals is brilliant because it acts not only as a donation, but individuals actually receive something for their donations. Everyone wins.

Have iPod, need songs

and probably not the songs that you're thinking of....

birdjam-sm.jpg

I've seen this advertised in several places, and would really, really, really like to have the birdjam Maker and Stokes CDs.

Animal Phone, courtesy of Cute Overload

Yes, Cute Overload is one of my very most favorite websites...

Hedgie faces! and Kitty Cartoon

I'm not a fan of exotic pets. Too many fads, too many unwanted animals, you've heard it all before.

But I could really abandon all of my principles for a hedgie:

and CuteOverload re-posted this kitty cartoon that I absolutely adore: