The "good news"

When I heard you say good news in class I was obviously hoping it meant that a class was cancelled or something. However, the news about Lincoln is just as promising. I am looking forward to the chance of getting to know some of these students and finding out what they are like and what there interests are. Since I am from a small town school, I am interested in seeing how they like the metro school. It will be interesting seeing the difference between how the act and dress, and how I did at the same time of my life. I feel that this is a good oppurtunity to like at other peoples experiences throughout school and life. Therefore, in the end, it was good news afterall.

Posted by at 11:50 PM

Lincoln Q's

My name is Keith Malherek and im 18 years old and attend the University of Minnesota. I am from Marshall, Mn, a small town of almost 13,000 people. I like to do basic anything to do with sports. Play sports, watch sports, play sports video games, etc. I also like to hang out with friends and do good stuff like that to.
I would like to get to know you guys a little better. What are your interests outside of school? What school related activities are you involved in? Do you like school? What are your favorite subjects? Basically all of that good stuff to touch base with you guys.

Posted by at 11:45 PM

Thoughts on the video

Watching that video on those elementary students and the conditions that they have to deal with is a real eye opener. I know that the Lincoln Middle Schools are not that bad, but still. It has to be extremely difficult for a kid growing up in those conditions, plus the outside conditions, to stay focused in the educational part of their lives and succeed. To accomplish that is a great achievement. In addition, the video really shows me how much my school was on the opposite end of the spectrum. When I was going to school at younger ages we never had to deal with anything even close to that, so I never really thought of the fact that kids my same age were dealing with that. It really makes you realize how tough some kids have it and how easy others one do.

Posted by at 11:44 PM

Thoughts on the video

Posted by at 11:44 PM

Brainstorming for my Lincoln and Me Paper

Widespread poverty for students of Lincoln Middle School has caused there views of the importance of education to be much less of a priority than it was for me. These students have to deal with much more important things than education. They have to deal with survival. The average per capita income for families of students in the Lincoln neighborhood is $14,600 and 26.8% of these families are below the poverty line. These kinds of issues at home can take all of these students focus and effort, which leaves to care little about school. However, while I was attending middle school I never had to face any of these problems. In Marshall, the per capita income is $18,588 and only 7.8% of families are below the poverty line. The fact that I did not have to deal with a major problem like this helped me me stay focused on education much easier. A major factor that causes this is the area that we grew up in. Lincoln students grow up in rough neighborhoods where good jobs are scarce. They also have bigger families with generally only single parents to deal with it. I grew up in an area where good jobs are not as hard to come by and it is much easier to raise a family. The situations that we grew up in are almost completely on opposite ends of the spectrum. Therefore, they suffered the effects of this and have a much tougher time trying to succeed in school in this kind of atmosphere than I ever had to deal with.

Posted by at 4:49 PM

The citing process

After spending the majority of class reviewing how to cite sources I felt it was necessary to spend the majority of my blog talking about the complicating process that is citing. I feel that they really need to find some kind of impasse between all of these organizations to put a stop to this batttle of the citing organizations. I find it hard to believe that all of these organizations are actually battling over where you put periods, commas, and titles. Also, I never realized that there were so many ways to cite. After looking over the Keys for Writers book, which is probably just a small portion of it, I am truly baffled by how much time is put into citing sources. In high school, it was a time consuming process having to deal with arounde 3-5 ways to cite sources. Yet, in college it is a grueling process with umpteen ways of citing them. I find this to be an extremely complicated process, and propose they find some sort of solution to this.

Posted by at 4:03 PM

LaRonda vs. Sherman

The stories about LaRonda and Sherman's backgrounds differ in many ways. They both had a very different view about the importance of school. LaRonda declared school to be the least important of the things she needed to do. While Sherman defied the odds and came out of an indian school with a quality education. Granted, LaRonda had a family she needed to take care of which held her back. However, they both faced the same issues of having there culture trying to hold them back. LaRonda felt that in order to get her "respect" and maintain her "blackness" that she did not need to try in school and just had to keep her pride. Her culture motivated this line of thinking. While Sherman was in a school that no one was supposed to succeed. Yet, he managed to succeed in impressive fashion.

Posted by at 3:00 PM