« Identity(s) | Main

Are You My Vote?

Isn’t it lovely that there’s all this controversy surrounding our ability to vote and put someone in office – you know, correctly? As much as I dislike filling in the second side of the bubble sheet for judges I have no clue about, hand cramps and all, I prefer this method of voting to touch screens. I would not trust it to take my vote accurately. And this isn’t based off the reading from NY Times Magazine and Hacking Democracy, but my own experience at the library trying to check out books with their touch screens. I had one of the old, old library cards that couldn’t be put in the slot for the computer to read (I was lazy in getting a new one). So I had to tap in the barcode of my card. I had a highly frustrating experience of standing there for how many minutes repeatedly touching the numbers and having nothing show up. I almost gave up when it finally worked. Mind you that this probably a couple years ago and the system has probably updated (and my card has too), but it goes to show the unreliability with these things. I’ve had the same issue with wedding registry screens at department stores of repeatedly touching a button to get to the next screen. Having problems like this is totally unacceptable when it comes to voting.

Hacking Democracy has been a very enlightening documentary, and I am glad to know people like Bev Harris are on the prowl to enlighten the public when the wonderful computers eat our votes. It is astonishing that Diebold and election centers are throwing out paper ballots and counting slips. I mean, the hell? Way to instill trust in your ability to conduct an election, people! Oh, and what is with keeping that computer code private? That absolutely needs to be public and vetted for security issues. I’d say if we can’t see the code, we don’t need the machines. Anyone who has ever been on a computer knows they can freeze up or crash on you. There should be no waffling around from governments on certification of the machines because if this mess interferes with our right to vote, then I say litigate the bleep outta ‘em!

Any given technology should be looked at from all standpoints in order to assess its impacts and decide if the technology is needed or how it can be improved. While it’s sad that we need organizations like Black Box Voting to clean up after an election, it’s also necessary if we want change. If we all believed that Diebold, ES&S and other companies said their machines count our votes more accurately just because it’s a computer and it’s faster and easier than hand counting, we’d never know that there were problems. Activists are needed to bring to light the downside of any given technology. It needs to be reported to the public, not hidden. Which is why it’s so disgusting to me that these companies want to gloss over problems that have arisen with the machines, but maybe this indicates giving over our vote to a private company isn’t the way to go if they won’t be forthcoming with whatever questions we might have.

I now feel rather ashamed that I haven't been paying more attention to the Senate recount and results because this is a very legitimate issue to discuss with any computerized machine that tallies our votes.