Wrap Up

I have really enjoyed taking this 11 week course Amy! I decided to take it so I would get an overview of what is available. I also wanted the MP3 player!!

I was familiar with a lot of the terms but really didn't know what some of them meant! I knew about blogging because my son, David, has had a blog for years and it was a quick and easy way for me to keep up with his life. Social networking was also something I knew about because of my kids.

I didn't know about RSS but now I see that on many many webpages and feel so smart that I know what it means!! I really appreciate knowing what these terms mean so when people talk about them at least I am aware!

Podcasts were very interesting to me personally. I'm kind of a news hound and I love to read so this is a great way to be kept up to date on the latest news!

This was a great journey and I look forward to more lessons in the future Amy!

Web Conferencing

I was easily able to set up a web conferencing meeting - a practice one anyway! I can see this would be a useful tool for any office. We live very far north and travel can be a problem for going to meetings or classes. This would be very helpful. I have participating in a web conference but have never set one up myself. With UMConnect it is a very easy and straightforward process.

Instant Messaging

This was an interesting lesson. I am very familiar with instant messaging because it is one of the ways I communicate with my adult sons! I was not familiar with it in the office setting. I can see that in a larger office or business it would be a very useful tool to communicating between offices and floors. I can also see that it would be a useful tool in emergencies in notifying people quickly.

Social Networking Lesson

I can see social networking being used in our office by our 4-H Program Coordinator. Maybe we would be able to connect with the "kids" and communicate with them this way easier than with letters and maybe even e-mails. I am familiar with facebook and myspace because my adult sons and nieces and nephews all have them - but it is WAY too much information for me!!

Productivity Tools Lesson

I must admit I am a very "gold personality" type person. I like order and lists so this was right up my alley!! I really liked the remembethemilk and the todolist sites - which would be applicable to both personal and business use in my life. I like lists!! and I like to see them accomplished! I also liked Google Docs. I can see many uses for it in the business world and I also thought I might use it and make a scrapebook of our recent "road trip." Hopefully I'll have time to upload my pictures and work on it at home one of these nights.

Smokey

Smokey.JPG

My new cat

After our long road trip to the west coast, we decided it was time to get a new baby - cat that is! Here he is - he is 9 weeks old and his name is Smokey. I may be too old for this!!

Wikis

I have always been nerous about wikis because they can be changed and editied by anyone, even people without any knowledge of the subject - there are some kooky people out there, you know!! I was glad to learn about the more secure wikis like Extension has.

Vacation

I'll be on vacation starting Thursday until September 16 - I'll catch up on my lessons when I get back - unless I decide to do them when I'm on vacation! NOT!

NPR Books Podcast

I subscribed to the NPR Books Podcast - I'm excited! I love reading about books and authors. I'll enjoy this!

My Cat

Gunter.jpg

Continue reading "My Cat" »

Flickr

While I am taking these lessons, I am surprised that I have actually used these things and not really realized what I was using. I have received photos from family and friends this way and I have also sent some. I realize now that I should be taking advantage of all the neat things. Maps really interest me so it would be fun to do that - especially now when my husband and I go on a "road trip" to the west coast via the Grand Canyon!

RSS

I am having a hard time understanding RSS, but it is coming along. I think I've been using it and not even knowing it! I had personalized my google page and have different categories on there - Simply Recipes - Daily Quotes, etc. I have also had the CaringBridge site notify me by email when there is updates. I will continue with the lesson and try to understand it more.

Librarything.com

I recently discovered librarything.com where you can list "your library." Since I get most of my books from the library I list the ones I've read. Try it out.

Books

This is my first blog! I am familiar with blogging because my kids have been doing it for years so I've been commenting on their entries! I like to read so thought I'd blog on something I'm familiar with. My favorite kind of novels are mystery and thrillers. What's your favorite?