« My passion for singing, dancing and music, which I have kept it within me mostly. I never really put it out | Main | August 13th,07, don't know whether to call it the best or worst day »

Technology sucks big time in UST

Recently, I started Graduate school in University of St.Thomas in Software Engineering. There are many reasons to choose this particular school but my point is, the technology is not at all good in here.

Second day of the class
All of the students started to login to Oracle, more than half of the students couldn't get it. Some of us logged into their Local Sys and some did using IE. The thing that I didn't understand was, using the same account same username it works in one environment and it does not work in another environment. Okay, this was the first class, we all thought,things are not setup right.

Third day of the class
Same thing, only some could get into the proper system without any problem. As for me, being a new student, I didn't know where to find what and plus not being able to connect to proper system made my life even worse.

Finally I was able to connect to all the system. Then we go back to class again, everything seems to be down. Everyone who couldn't get into ORA, logged in locally. The problem does not get solve here but keeps extending. Everyday there is something down.

One example, I had to call Health Service for some Immunization Forms. The lady in the dept said, "Oh you should using the Online Forms instead. I thought oh nice thats even better. I logged on to Murphy Online, I clicked on the link, guess what, the link blinks and nothing happens. I tried couple of times, but no luck. I called her back to inform that it does not work. She seemed surprised hear that. She took my number to call me back but I never heard until I call back the next day.

Wednesday afternoon : (1:14pm)
I tried to connect to SQLPPLUS, I get this error Account is locked. Now what, call the IST services. The person on the phone couldn't figure what I was talking so she said she will call me back.

Now it 1:45pm, no call, I called them back. The answer I hear is, your name is on the Queue, I can't tell you when your problem will be taken care. Nice very nice, I told myself, Technology sucks in this school. I never had this problem all my years in Undergraduate in University of Minnesota. And because I worked as a helpdesk student, I knew how the problems were taken care. The school has more than 9000 students, there were tons of problems but ................... I knew when the call came, what they are talking about. The caller might not know what they are talking about but we would know.

I get a call back at 2:03pm, same answer, you are on the Queue. Now who is going to do my work. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am not angry with anyone but just hoping I don't have to face these problems anymore.

Type the characters you see in the picture above.