« Short Office Hours Today (Nov. 20) | Main | The Media and the President »

Magazines and the Middlebrow

Last night's discussion raised some interesting questions and, once again, this thread is a space to continue the conversation. I'll throw out some starters, but feel free to add your own questions in the comment section. First, what do people think about my (deliberately suggestive) comment that society is created _through_ these magazines rather than being something that somehow exists behind or underneath them? Are the "broader" magazines such as Time and Newsweek still relavent when compared to the more specialized or market niche products (and, if so, what does this tell us about who and what we imagine ourselves connect to when we read these things?)

I don't think magazines shape our society at all -- but I do think the motivation behind them being published definitely are a reflection of our capitalist society.

There is a magazine for every kind of person out there -- Playboy for the college guy who "likes pictures as well as articles," Time for the peopel who want to know whats going on, ESPN for the sports nut......bla bla bla.

Magazines are published because there is a market to make money from them. I think our society has advanced the necessity for these magazines. We want to read (or look at) things that we like.

So, I would disagree that magazines make society, but would say that society --and the want to read things that make us feel good-- have created the demand for magazines.