Recently in Notable Category

Oldest person in the world dies

| No Comments

The oldest living person in the world, Besse Cooper, died on Tuesday in a nursing home in George, Rueters reported.

Cooped, 116, died peacefully in her sleep shortly after getting her hair done, CNN reported.

"She looked real good when she passed away," her son Sidney Cooper told Rueters.

She was in excellent health, apart from deteriorating eyesight, according to CNN. Cooper lived through three centuries.

Cooper was strong and determined woman and had been a teacher until her first children were born in 1929, according to Rueters.

Cooper had been stripped of her title when Brazilian-born Maria Gomes Valentim was discovered to be 48 days older, reported Rueters. She was later given back the title after Gomes Valentim died in June 2011.

Two tickets win record Powerball jackpot

| No Comments

Two ticket holders won the largest Powerball jackpot ever on Wednesday, the Associated Press reported.

The $587.5 million jackpot numbers matched a ticket sol in Missouri and a ticket from Kansas, the Associated Press reported.

The Powerball numbers for the second largest lottery prize in U.S. history are 5, 16, 22, 23, 29 with a Powerball of 6, according to the Associated Press.

It has not yet been determined if the winners are groups of people or individuals, the http://www.startribune.com/nation/181352241.html reported.

Powerball tickets were sold at a rate of 130,000 per minute, according to the Star Tribune. That rate is six times higher than one week ago.

The winners have not yet come forward, the Star Tribune reported, but they both have 180 days to claim their prizes.

Lance Armstong resigns from Livestrong board

| No Comments

Armstrong resigns from boardLance Armstrong has quit the board of his cancer-fighting charity to avoid further damage in wake of his doping charges, the Star Tribune reported.

Armstrong formally cut all ties with the Livestrong charity on Nov. 4, the Star Tribune reported. He said he would still stay unofficially involved in the charity.

His choice to resign was "to spare the organization any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding his cycling career," according to a statement by Jeff Garvey, the foundation's chairman, CNN reported.

Armstrong had previously given up is chairman position during the scandal on Oct. 17, according to the Star Tribune.

"Lance Armstrong was instrumental in changing the way the world views people affected by cancer. His devotion to serving survivors is unparalleled and for 15 years, he committed himself to that cause with all his heart," Garvey said.

Although Armstrong has his seven Tour de France titles revoked, CNN reported Armstrong tweeted a picture of himself with his prized yellow jerseys in the background.

Armstrong 's personal sponsors, including Nike and Anheuser-Busch, have also dropped their contracts with him, the Star Tribune reported.

JC Penney 3Q sales plummet

| No Comments

J.C. Penney Co reported its worst drop in sales on Friday after CEO Ron Johnson's radical transformation of store operations, Reuters reported.

The chain reported a third-quarter loss of 26 percent and store traffic down 12 percent, the Star Tribune reported. This is the third consecutive quarter of losses Penney's has reported since it ditched coupons and sales events for everyday low prices.

Part of the problem has been customer confusion on the pricing, the Star Tribune reported. Johnson said the company will being putting the suggested retail price next to Penney's price on the tag to help eliminate this confusion.

Along with the low prices, Penney's has been working to convert its stores into a collection of boutiques, Reuters reported.

These new boutiques have generated more sales per square foot than the "old JCP" is, Reuters reported. These eight boutiques are generating $269 of sales per square foot, an increase from $139 in the older parts of the store.

"It's about the shops. That's the future of the company," investor William Ackman, told Reuters.

By Laura Marrinan
LAS VEGAS - Theresea Faiss, wife of former state Sen. Wilbur Faiss and half of the America's longest marriage, has died in Las Vegas at the age of 97, the Star Tribune reported Friday.

Faiss has been recognized just months ago by the Worldwide Marriage Encounter as having the longest marriage in America, 79 years, the International Business Times reported.

"She was an amazing woman who was adored by her three sons," Linda Faiss, her daughter-in-law, told the Las Vegas Review Journal. "Fortunately the family got together a couple of days ago for Dad's 101st birthday."

Earlier this year, President Barack Obama planned on giving the couple a public acknowledgment in southern Nevada, but the couple was unable to attend the event, the Star Tribune reported. Family members said they were able to meet the president at a later date.

The couple also has a middle school named after them, the International Business Times reported. They would go and speak with students at the school every year.

New York policed officer detained in cannibalism plot

| No Comments

By Laura Marrinan
NEW YORK - A New York City police officer accused of plotting to kidnap, cook, and cannibalize women was detained without bail, the Huffington Post reported Thursday.

Gilberto Valle, 28, was arrested on Tuesday after a two month long investigation, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Valle's phone and computer records show a database of 100 women that has been accumulating since at least February, according to the LA Times. The database includes personal information and physical descriptions for plans to kidnap, torture, cook and eat them.

One document found on his computer was titled "Abducting and Cooking [Victim 1]: A Blueprint," according to the Associated Press. The documents also contained a list of materials still needed to carry out the act.

In another instance, Valle discussed kidnapping a woman he knew and selling her for $5,000, the LA Times reported.

"The allegations in the complaint really need no description from us," said Mary E. Galligan, acting head of the FBI's New York office. "They speak for themselves. It would be an understatement merely to say Valle's own words and actions were shocking."

The police were alerted of Valle's strange online activity by his estranged wife which led to the investigation, according to the Associated Press.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will host the Golden Globes on Jan. 13, 2013, the Huffington Post reported Monday.

NBC reached out to their own funny ladies and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and Dick Clark Productions announced the pairing, TV Line reported.

TV Line reported, having the two "on board to host this year's festivities is a major coup," said NBC's president of alternative programming, Paul Telegdy.

The two have a long history of business together including hosting Saturday Night Live together for three years and co-starring in the comedy film Mean Girls together in 2004, the Huffington Post reported. They auctioned off a night of their friendship at a Comedy Central event this past weekend.

The 70th annual Golden Globes air on NBC , honoring honor the best in television and film, three days after the Oscars, the Huffington Post reported.

Space shuttle Endeavour draws crowds as it lumbers home

| No Comments

LOS ANGELES - The space shuttle Endeavour lumbered down the streets of Los Angeles on Saturday making its way to Exposition Park, CNN reported.

State Sen. Roderick Wright said he hoped the path of the shuttle through the streets would help inspire young people to continue being interested in space exploration, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The shuttle will be retired into a local museum in Inglewood right where the Endeavour was created, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"All of these states tried to get the Endeavour and they lost," the Los Angeles Times reported Wright said. "One of the reasons they lost is because Endeavour was born here .... This morning, in the great city of Inglewood, we have the opportunity to say 'Welcome home.' "

At around midnight, a Toyota Tundra pulled the shuttle over the Manchester Boulevard bridge and filmed the entire event for a commercial, according to CBS News.

According to CNN, in order for the shuttle to make its way down the streets, 265 trees were cut down, 67 traffic signals were dismantled and 48 mast arms were removed.

"This once-in-a-lifetime event is a cause for celebration," Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said.

A former professional wrestler from Minnesota took down a rowdy passenger while traveling on the Hiawatha Light Rail on Thursday, the Pioneer Press reports.

Shawn Daivari, a former WWE and TNA star, is being cheered on for using his wrestling skills to subdue a passenger that was hurling insults at other passengers on the train, Fox News reported.

"It was definitely different than any other ride I've taken on that train," Daivari told Fox News.

Daivari held the man in a rear-naked choke hold until he lost consciousness and emptied his bladder, the Toronto Sun reported.

After Daivari boarded the train in the Warehouse District, he noticed a man was swearing and yelling racial slurs. Many passengers had pushed the emergency button on the train before Daivari acted, the Toronto Sun reported.

"Another passenger told him to sit down and be quiet because he was making the ride bad for everybody," Daivari told Fox News. "That's when he got in the passenger's face, saying, 'I am going to kill you,' and stuff like that."

The passengers alerted the train conductor at the Downtown East/Metrodome Station and Daivari threw the man out at the next stop, Metro Transit told the Pioneer Press.

Condé Nast promises to avoid using underage models

| No Comments

Condé Nast Publication announced they are banning the use of underage models in Vogue on Thursday, according to Style.com.

The publication giant made this same vow last May but was unable to live up to the promise, Style.com reported. Condé Nast announced that they will be redoubling their efforts to stop these errors and apologized for any previous incidents.

The magazine recently cast two underage girls to be pictured in Vogue China and Vogue Japan, Nylon Magazine reported. According to Style.com, Condé Nast officials say the images of the 14-year-old girl will not be printed in the December issue of Vogue Japan.

"It happened under our radar, and we are truly sorry. We will make sure it doesn't happen again," editor-in-chief Angelica Cheung said, according to Nylon Magazine.

Condé Nast said the promise will not apply to any article published regarding children's fashion and apparel, Style.com reported.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Notable category.

National News is the previous category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.