Blog 4

Alright, here it is. I know you've all been waiting for it, my inspirational blog about (drum-roll please) cxxTest. cxxTest is some software that can be used for unit testing. A unit test is when a piece of the code is tested to check if it works independently the way it should. This is very useful because this way you can check the small pieces of code as you work, and if something is wrong you can fix it right away, or at least you know where it is. If you write your entire program and then a bunch of stuff goes wrong it will take a while just to figure out where the problems are, much less fix them. I used cxxtest in Iteration 2 of the Where's The Forest!? project. It helped a lot by providing testing mechanisms that I could use to test the code that I had and make sure that it would work with the parser provided by the professor. There were a few problems at first because I didn't really know what I was doing, and it took a little while to figure out how to incorporate the tests into my code. But once I got it going it was great. The tests that I had to run were all through cxxTest and the errors that popped up helped me to pinpoint which parts didn't work, and then I just had to figure out what went wrong and then fix it. It saved me a ton of time in hunting for the problems.

Avoiding the wild bug chase is definitely a main reason to spend more time performing unit tests. Of course, depending on the size of the units you are testing, it can still be a bit of a hunt to find the issues that crop up, but the hunt will be much more manageable than if you forgo the unit testing. Minimizing the potential sources of a bug is the name of the game with unit testing it seems to me.

-Nathan Dowd

The start to your blog gets the reader interested, unfortunately you didn't provide any information for the reader to use. I would have liked to have read a bit of how cxxTest finds bugs for you.

Jason Reiss