Assignment 7

Pugh Chart:

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 8.42.40 AM.png

The party dreidel and candle wax forms were tied for top idea after making my pugh chart. I initially really wanted to go with the candle wax forms idea, but thinking more about it decided to go with the party dreidel. While I think the candle wax forms can be more exciting because it is so unique, it is harder to communicate in a pitch. Further, while talking to another Jew about these ideas the point was brought up that Hanukkah candles need to burn out to maintain the significance of the holiday. I hadn't thought of this before, myself not being very Jewish. Reusing the candles into wax forms may counter this. So Party Dreidel it is! Now for a new name...

I couldn't come up with any other name that encompassed all of the functions of this dreidel. All I could keep thinking of was how much better this dreidel is compared to what is already on the market so I think it's fair to call it...THE ULTIMATE DREIDEL

Here's the pic of my final idea with the new name:

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 10.03.27 AM.png

Elevator Pitch Practice:

Movie on 12-11-13 at 10.21 AM.mov

Assignment 6

Step One: Are my ideas marketable?

After carrying out a survey that 16 people responded to, my top five ideas for my sub-theme of Hanukkah were:

1. Party Dreidel- The dreidel lights up and plays music when spinning. Once the dreidel lands, it lights up entirely one color based off of the symbol and audibly says the symbol and what to do for that symbol.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.06.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.07.12 AM.png

2. Candle Wax Forms- Attachments for menorah legs: candles melt into mold to create different wax forms.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.07.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.07.40 AM.png

3. Drei-doodle- Dreidel that has crayon tip to doodle as it spins.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.07.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.08.11 AM.png

4. Mood Ring Menorah- Menorah with thermochromic coating so that it changes color as the candles melt when the menorah gets hotter. This has a safety component, but would also be aesthetically pleasing.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.08.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.08.42 AM.png

5. Trick Dreidel- Dreidel is weighted so that it always falls on gimmel.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.09.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.09.17 AM.png

See last blog post for pictures of these ideas!

Step Two: Are my ideas novel?

1. Party Dreidel:
Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.21.25 PM.png

2. Candle Wax Forms:
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 11.46.51 AM.png

3. Drei-Doodle:
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 12.11.02 PM.png

4. Mood Ring Menorah:
There weren't any similar Menorah products. I instead looked at any thermochromic products.
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 12.38.02 PM.png

5. Trick Dreidel:
After extensive searching, I could only find one product on the market similar to this one.
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 12.19.31 PM.png

Patents Related to Ideas:

1. I found a patent for an illuminated dreidel Lighting is one of the components of the party dreidel.
US Patent Number: 7,909,674
Issued Date: March 22, 2011
Inventor: Goozner, Raphael
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=3&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=dreidel&OS=dreidel&RS=dreidel

2.This patent is for a candle melting system to create custom candles. The candle wax melts into a mold to create a new candle. This is very similar to the concept for how the Candle Wax forms would work.
US Patent Number: 7,284,741
Issued Date: October 23, 2007
Inventor: Julianne Pierce

3. It was hard to find any patent similar to the Drei-doodle. I found one for a spirograph drawing device. There is a wheel disk that rotates around a circumference with the drawing utensil at the center of the wheel disk. It allows for creation of lots of different designs. This reminded me of how the drei-doodle would leave circular patterns as well. The spirograph could potentially be further explored to help develop this Drei-doodle concept.
US Patent Number: 5,709,033
Issued Date: January 20, 1998
Inventor: Charles Arnold Cummings
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=2&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=64&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PALL&s1=spirograph&OS=spirograph&RS=spirograph

4. I found a patent about the thermochromic ink that is used in thermochromic coatings. It describes how it works: color changes in response to change in temperature, and also describes methods of use for this ink. The Mood Ring Menorah would utilize a thermochromic coating.
US Patent Number: 6,139,779
Issued Date: October 31, 2000
Inventors: Gerald Highberger and Lyle D. Small

5. For the last idea, I couldn't find any patented products similar. Instead I found a potential route to explore for how the product would work. Instead of the Trick Dreidel being weighted so that it always falls on gimmel, maybe it could make use of magnets to control the spin and outcome. I'm not quite sure how this would work yet, but this patent explains a magnetic top system for controlling the movement of a spinning top.
US Patent Number: 8,556,676
Issued Date: October 15, 2013
Inventors: Stephen Donahue, Patrick Latour, Vic Bertrand

Step 3: Are my ideas feasible?

Biggest Concerns:

1. Party Dreidel- space limitations for electronics
2. Candle Wax Forms- Making it work well
3. Drei-Doodle- Making it work well
4. Mood Ring Menorah- Cost since thermochromic coatings can be expensive
5. Trick Dreidel- Making it work: I'm not sure how to weight it to land on Gimmel but also ensure a quality spin. I might explore a different way of making it land on Gimmel every time.

Cost Assessments:

I estimated the material costs based off of materials. For the electronic components I estimated the price using cost of the material copper, which Barry had suggested in class. I then calculated retail prices by multiplying my estimated material costs by ten and compared these results to the prices survey takers said they would pay for each product.

1. Party Dreidel-
The party dreidel would probably be made out of polypropylene to prevent wear on the product.
Polypropylene: $0.43/lb.
Copper: $2.50/lb.
I estimated there being 1/4 pound pp and 1/4 pound copper for the electronics. This gave me a material cost of $0.73. The Retail Price would then be $7.32, where survey takers said they would pay an average of $14.

2. Candle Wax Forms-
I based my material estimations off of a full set of 9 legs of candle wax form molds. I was thinking Stainless steel would be used for most of the product but Silicone Rubber would be used for the molds.
Stainless Steel: $0.30/lb
Silicone Rubber: $1.50/lb
I estimated there being 1 pound of stainless steel and 1/2 pound of Silicone. This gave me a material cost of $1.05. The retail price is then $10.50, where survey takers said they would pay an average of $27.

3. Drei-Doodle-
I was thinking the dreidel would be made out of polypropylene and the tip/spinning shaft would be a crayon.
Polypropylene: $0.43/lb
I estimated the dreidel to be a 1/4. So the Manufacturing cost would be $0.11 and the Retail Price would be $1.08, where survey takers said they would pay an average of $11.

4. Mood Ring Menorah- I was thinking the menorah would be stainless steel. I couldn't find an accurate pricing estimation for the thermochromic coating though, which I know would be expensive. This estimation will have more error due to this.
Stainless Steel: $0.30/lb
I estimated the menorah to be 3 pounds so the manufacturing cost would be $0.90. The retail price would be $9.00. This should leave room for the thermochromic coating cost since survey takers said they would pay an average of $30.

5. Trick Dreidel-
Just like the other dreidel designs, I was thinking the dreidel would be made out of polypropylene.
Polypropylene: $0.43/lb
I estimated the dreidel to be a 1/4. So the Manufacturing cost would be $0.11 and the Retail Price would be $1.08, where survey takers said they would pay an average of $8.

Assignment 5

SCAMPER:

I carried out a scamper brainstorming session in my notebook using products of dreidel and menorah for my sub-theme of Hanukkah! I watched a couple episodes of the Dr. Who to get me in a creative mindset prior to starting the activity.

S: SUBSTITUTE

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.28.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.30.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.32.16 AM.png

Above, I forgot to label this idea, it is Candle Wax Forms!

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.32.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.33.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.33.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.34.54 AM.png

C: COMBINE

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.35.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.35.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.36.21 AM.png

A: ADAPT

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.36.56 AM.png

Above is the song tempo spin frequency dreidel!

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.37.21 AM.png

M: MAGNIFY/MODIFY

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.37.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.38.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.39.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.39.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.39.58 AM.png

P: PUT TO OTHER USE

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.40.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.41.45 AM.png

E: ELIMINATE

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.42.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.42.35 AM.png

R: REVERSE/REARRANGE

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.43.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.43.32 AM.png

Through completing my SCAMPER brainstorming session, I chose my favorite ideas to be:

S-Candle Wax Forms
C-Party Dreidel
A-Mood Ring Menorah
M-Symbol Extruded Texture Dreidel
P-Magic-Light Menorah
E-Clap-On Menorah
R-Sky Dancers-like Dreidel Launcher

I also really liked these three additional ideas: the dreidel that plays the dreidel song, playing the song with a tempo that aligns with spin frequency (song tempos spin frequency dreidel), the self extinguishing menorah that extinguishes when a child approaches for safety, and the prayer singing menorah.

Pictures of the above 10 ideas mentioned can be seen in my posted SCAMPER pages.

Following my SCAMPER brainstorming, I did a morphological analysis with a dreidel.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 11.19.00 AM.png

My morphological analysis inspired me to further explore grip ideas:

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 11.17.38 AM.png

The three ideas I got from my morphological analysis are listed below:

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 11.16.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 11.17.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 11.17.17 AM.png

Next, looking back at past brainstorming ideas, I already did alter a bunch into updated or new inspired ideas through the SCAMPER activity. I had these old ideas already in my head influencing my new ones. For example, the talking menorah that tells you the story of Hannukah is very similar to the prayer singing menorah. Also, the party dreidel is a combination of a lot of ideas: the light up dreidel that lights up as the dreidel spins, informative light dreidel that lights up a different color once landed according to certain side, music playing dreidel, and the talking dreidel that tells you what to do.

Then I sorted through all of my ideas and came up with my 10 most promising ones:

1. Candle Wax Forms (SCAMPER)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.09.57 AM.png

2. Party Dreidel that is also informative (SCAMPER influenced by group brainstorming)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.10.10 AM.png

3. Fiber Optic Dreidel Skirt (SCAMPER idea. My roommate, Rachel, joined in on the SCAMPER briefly and came up with this one!)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.09.34 AM.png

4. Self-Extinguishing menorah (influenced by past personal experience and reminded of idea through SCAMPER)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.10.42 AM.png

5. Audible menorah (combination of SCAMPER prayer singing menorah and previous group brainstorming sesh idea of Menorah that tells the story of Hanukkah)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.10.58 AM.png

6. Song Tempo Spin Frequency Dreidel (SCAMPER)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.12.04 AM.png

7. Magic Light Menorah (SCAMPER)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.12.16 AM.png

8. SkyDancers-like Dreidel Launcher (SCAMPER)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.12.27 AM.png

9. Mood Ring Menorah--pretty color changing, and know when it's hot for safety (SCAMPER idea)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.12.43 AM.png

10.Drei-Doodle (Group Brainstorming idea)

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 12.13.04 AM.png

I already made the first prototype of this idea at Leonardo's Basement!

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 11.12.53 PM.png

The bottom of the dreidel is a crayon. The tip broke off in my bag unfortunately. With the tip, however, the dreidel spun decently leaving a crayon trail pretty well. It would work a lot better if the dreidel was better constructed though so that the center of gravities were more balanced.

Assignment 4

For this brainstorming assignment, my how can we questions were:

How can we make playing dreidel more intuitive and user friendly?

How can we spread awareness about the holiday of Hanukkah across other cultures and religions?

Friends from my model making class participated in the brainstorming session: Ben, Kaya, Mary, and Dennis. While Hannah Hill and Andrew Benson are in the creativity class they helped as well for wider idea generation. This was also because we all struggled to find people so we did one long session going through Hannah, Andrew, and my themes with the same people. I know this was advised against, but it was better than nothing. We opened with general brainstorming games and then each of us did our individual created game before each person's theme session.

We played red ball and Kitty wants a corner. Then we played my brainstorming game, which was charades and telephone themed. Whoever went first would think of a common action and instead of saying the actual word for the action they would make up a fake word with silly sounds while making the action. Then the turns follow around the circle. The following person would make that action again but while making that action would say the word that they thought the fake word was subbing for. The next person would make the same action again and say what they thought the action was. We would keep going around the circle until someone got the action word right or until it returned to the first person's turn who made up the word. They would tell the group if no one guessed it. Then the person next to them would start the sequence over again with a new action and fake word. The game was kind of confusing to explain, but once people caught on it was a lot of fun.

After warming up our creativity, the brainstorming commenced. Due to paper limitations we did not utilize blue sky idea generation but instead used the 635 method. I cut out all of the ideas for sorting. We spent 20 minutes on each problem statement. Roughly 70 ideas were generated for each problem. The IPM for the first brainstorming session was 0.6. The IPM for the second brainstorming session was 0.583. I think the second one was a little lower since it was a harder topic to brainstorm for.

Mary

Group

Following are pictures of each sorted brainstorming session and the 5 best ideas from each brainstorming session:

Brainstorm 1 Sorted

Categories were Arts/Crafts, New Games, Food, Informational, Novelty Items, Dreidel Features, Makes Spinning Easier, and Coins/Candy.

Idea 1: Light Up Dreidel

Light Up Dreidel

Idea 2: Techno-Dreidel

Techno-Dreidel

Idea 3: Drei-Doodle

Drei-doodle

Idea 4: Coin Dispensing Dreidel

Coin Dispensing Dreidel

Idea 5: Talking Dreidel

Talking Dreidel

Brainstorm 2 Sorted

Categories were Free Stuff, Educational Readings, Cross-Holidays, Games/Trivia, Advertising, and Novelty Items.

Idea 1: 8 Nights of Chocolate

8 Nights of Chocolate

Idea 2: App that Tests Holiday Knowledge

App that Tests Holiday Knowledge

Idea 3: Hologram Rabbi

Hologram Rabbi

Idea 4: Holiday Themed Talking Action Figures

Holiday Themed Talking Action Figures

Idea 5: Talking Menorah

Talking Menorah

Assignment 3

My sub-theme is Hanukkah! I initially thought I would need to interview three Jews. It was really hard to find three Jews to interview since I was visiting a private Catholic college this weekend. Instead, I interviewed people with a range of experience levels surrounding Hanukkah. I think this actually turned out being somewhat beneficial because there was a fresh take on Hanukkah as well and opened up the question of whether or not educating about other religions in schools growing up is important.

Interview 1: Katie P.

Katie is a Catholic, but had a close childhood Jewish friend growing up so she has celebrated Hanukkah multiple years.

What does Hanukkah mean to you?

I know it is a Jewish holiday with eight nights. It is a fun celebration bringing people together, but I don't necessarily know the history behind it.

Tell me about some memories you have surrounding Hanukkah.

I did celebrate with a very good friend of mine growing up actually. I remember we would play dreidel and I even got a few presents, which was awesome and the food was delicious. We'd have potato pancakes with apple sauce. I had never had them before and it was so yummy. I also remember some songs.

Tell me more about the games you played.

Dreidel was a lot of fun. It's really cool how something that simple can be that engaging, especially today where everything has to be so complicated to keep people's attention. The rules are just so simple and it is very family centered.

Why is it family centered?

I really think it brings families together. When I think of the game, I just envision chocolate coins, laughter, and everyone jointly having a great time.

Tell me about experiencing the lighting of the candles with the menorah.

It kind of reminds me of Christmas, when you have a Christmas tree lit up at night, being in a dark room and having the light be the focus of everyone's attention--it was nice.

Interview 2: Maggie W.

Maggie doesn't identify with any organized religion, but grew up with exposure to the Catholic faith. She had never celebrated Hanukkah before and didn't know much about the holiday.

Tell me about any exposure you have with the Jewish faith.

I actually didn't know any Jews growing up.

What do you think of when I say Hanukkah?

Well I really like Adam Sandler. Through his song and movie I learned the gist of Hanukkah. I guess I think of it as the equivalent to Christmas. It sounds super cool to have eight nights and presents.

How was it not growing up with exposure to a holiday that so many people celebrate?

It was weird. I kind of wish I had Jewish friends. I definitely wish I had more exposure to the holiday and religion and had less homogeneity, more diversity.

Tell me about any activities or traditions you think of related to Hanukkah.

Well, lighting the candles of the menorah. There's food--potato pancakes are so good! Since I'm Polish we make those too. Then there's praying, maybe reading from the torah? There are yamakahs. But I don't really know much. I wish I learned more about all of this in school.

Why?

I think it's important to learn about other people's religions and traditions because it gives you perspective. Comparative religions is important. Religion can be such a polarizing thing and historically has been a very polarizing phenomenon on the world. It shouldn't have to be that way. Instead, it could bring people together. If you learn about others' backgrounds, you'll have more respect for who people are and there would be less jump to prejudice.

Interview 3: Rachel D.

Rachel grew up Jewish, but identifies with the religion more culturally than religiously. She celebrated Hanukkah growing up.

What does Hanukkah mean to you?

Not much anymore, considering my family lost touch with most holidays in general.

What did it mean to you growing up?

It was a special celebration where I would see my Dad's side of the family more. It would bring that side of the family together.

Tell me about some traditions you partook in?

We would say a prayer at dinner and sing a prayer while lighting the candles. We had a lot of great food and all of that. Then we had dreidels, but we didn't really play. We also didn't really do gifts. We do the same thing for passover, just sticking to the standard prayer ceremony part of the holiday.

Why?

We're just not really into holidays as a family. Also, my family is very traditional about stuff and gifts weren't a thing for us because it was more just in the spirit of what the holiday meant. Also, we're South African and that was more the focus.

You said that for you Hanukkah brought your family together, tell me more about any fond memories you have.

Well, I just always remember it being special. The food was a big part of it. My mom would always make latkes and we would also make a lot of the traditional passover foods for Hanukkah as well. Experiencing Hanukkah all around was different for me too though since I didn't know any other Jewish friends. I always got made fun of for being the only Jewish kid in my neighborhood.

How did that feel?

Well I didn't really celebrate any other winter holidays, but I didn't feel left out because I wouldn't want to celebrate something that I don't identify with. I at least identify with Judaism culturally.

After the interviews... I observed the three participants playing dreidel. Candy was used to barter with in placement of chocolate coins. After a while, I joined in to experience the action as well. Following are some pictures of the dreidel games and then observatory/experiential notes:

Hanukkah 1.jpg

Hanukkah 2.jpg

Hanukkah 3.jpg

Hanukkah 4.jpg

Hanukkah 5.jpg

Hanukkah 6.jpg

Hanukkah 7.jpg

Hanukkah 8.jpg

Me Hanukkah 1.jpg

Me Hanukkah 2.jpg

Me Hanukkah 3.jpg

Me Hanukkah 4.jpg

Notes:

• The dreidel would get stuck in the cracks of the wooden coffee table sometimes which would alter its spin.
  • The dreidel often would spin off the table.
  • The game really did bring players together. Lots of laughter was had!
  • Extreme excitement enveloped a player when they had a really solid spin, but high feelings of defeat were observed as well when someone repeatedly couldn't get it to spin well.
  • It was sometimes hard to read the symbols on the dreidel because of the poor contrast. It would take longer than everyone would have liked to distinguish what side they ended up with.
  • There was lots of confusion with the meaning of the symbols, participants easily forgot their meanings, even those of the Jewish faith.
  • The reward of candy or chocolate coins was very important to the game to keep up the level of excitement with this outlet for motivation. Everyone loves candy/treats!

Suggestions for Areas of Improvement:

1. Maintaining quality spin of the dreidel was hard due to outside factors of the cracks of the table and the limiting size of the table. Something that would provide a better platform with boundaries would be ideal.
  2. The confusion with the symbols and ease of reading the symbols was another large issue. Something that makes the symbols more noticeable and more familiar would help.

Assignment 2

To first get in a creative mood, I wanted to make all of my roommates play charades with me since in the past we've played Gestures as a group and it's been a lot of fun. It was too hard to coordinate everyone's schedules with Halloween weekend, so I watched Louie instead to draw inspiration for creativity. This show always makes me laugh really hard. I really like the comedian's dry sense of humor and like that the show not only has a storyline, but incorporates standup comedy as well.

louie.jpg

From there, I came up with my mind map:

1460025_10151969499477346_1895024207_n.jpg

I started off thinking about snow days because of all of the great memories they held as a child. Snow Days used to be the best days of the year, especially because of how rare they were. My brothers and I used to go on extravagant outside adventures through the snow. From there, I let my mind wander and took me through categories such as the weather, vacation, holidays, finals, sickness, etc. The three subthemes I want to focus on moving forward are Outdoor Adventures in the Snow (playing in snow activities), Bundling up (braving the cold with snow gear/outer wear), and Hanukkah.

Then moving onto the third part of the assignment, I just looked at my mindmap and going through the categories, realized I had a lot of fun, sometimes ridiculous, ideas for products. If I had struggled or drawn a blank, I would have made some association maps, but in this circumstance it was not necessary.

Here are my ideas:

522017_10151969500372346_1489411742_n.jpg

First, I had a Roof Sledding Obstacle Course. When my brothers and I used to go on adventures during snow days, we would sometimes sled off of his friend's roof. This was not very safe, but it was a lot of fun. This experience inspired this idea.

947275_10151969500297346_1081553639_n.jpg

Second, I had ultimate snow gloves that go up to your elbows to keep snow out. I just always hate getting snow in between where my jacket ends and gloves start. They have a couple different features to keep you warm and happy.

1453229_10151969500167346_1518032097_n.jpg

Next, I had a self-extinguishing menorah. When I was a kid, I was curious one Hannukah night, lit a napkin on fire and melted our trash can. This menorah would be for parents with children. This way you can still promote the tradition of letting the candles burn out, but can ensure your children's safety. The menorah would extinguish the candles somehow with a sensor if a hand approaches.

1422512_10151969500082346_5481831_n.jpg

This next idea was just to make sledding a little more fun with lights and music, party on a sled.

1391645_10151969499982346_304084249_n.jpg

Then I had the sick snuggie. This is more of a ridiculous novelty item idea. It would be a snuggie that has lots of sick amenities built in.

Following this sick theme, I would love if there was a tissue dispensing glove!

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 12.25.17 PM.png

I've always loved playing dreidel with my family, so I had a couple dreidel related ideas:

1453418_10151969499897346_924381974_n.jpg

602110_10151969499612346_1341499267_n.jpg

Next, I had the idea for a winter themed slip n' slide where you slide down an ice channel into a pile of snow.

1454745_10151969499557346_140483315_n.jpg

And lastly, mood ring inspired gloves!

1393772_10151969499682346_1500228859_n.jpg

Assignment1

The Sriracha Nutella Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie Sprinkled with Pop Rocks

In making my creative cookie, I wanted to focus on finding ingredients that successfully combine with the unique flavor of Sriracha. When brainstorming, I came up with dark chocolate, hazelnut, and oatmeal. Through lots of web browsing I saw that many people like sriracha with peanut butter, and some have tried to make sriracha peanut butter cookies. Since I do not like peanut butter, I thought maybe nutella would be good with sriracha instead because it is partially a nut butter as well. The oatmeal with sriracha combination came about in the brainstorming when I came across that many add sriracha to their breakfast in the morning. I thought maybe a sriracha oatmeal cookie could be good if that were the case. Lastly, my love for dark chocolate bars with chili powder made me want to put dark chocolate in at least one of the trial batches.

After brainstorming, I jumped into experimenting with the actual ingredients. I made oatmeal and added some sriracha. I did not like it personally so I crossed the sriracha oatmeal cookie idea off the list.

Moving on, I went forward with making sriracha nutella cookies. First nutella sriracha cookie dough batchI split the batch to try to get a few different variations of sriracha flavor incorporated. I setup my cookie recipe by looking at some other peanut butter cookie recipes. I decided to also add brown sugar. The batch that I added a little more sriracha to was more successful because you could taste the kick of the sriracha, but it was not overpowering. Half of my roommates (3 out of 6) preferred this
Thumbnail image for experimentation cookie
Thumbnail image for Experimentation Cookie 2
From there, I melted dark chocolate and covered the tops of my cookies with it. With Halloween approaching, a lot of candy has been all over my house. One of my roommates jokingly thought to sprinkle pop rocks on top of the chocolate covered cookies. It was actually very successful in that it just added a little sweeter sugar taste, but eating them was instantly much more fun of an experience.

I wanted to add some more dark chocolate and introduce some semi sweet chocolate to the recipe to counteract the sriracha taste still at this point. I wanted to still keep as much sriracha in them as I had liked, but make it so all of my roommates thoroughly like them as well. So from here I added a mixture of dark chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batch. I tried a batch where I sprinkled the cookies with pop rocks before baking them. This did not work out. The pop rocks just melted into the cookie like I thought they might. Thumbnail image for Pop Rocks Can't be CookedIn the final batch I sprinkled the pop rocks on top when the cookies were fresh out of the oven before allowing them to cool so that the rocks would stick without having to add more chocolate.

Thumbnail image for Final Cookie!

Final Recipe (Makes 5 dozen):
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1.5 cups Nutella
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sriracha
5-10 packages of poprocks
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2.75 cups flour

1. Combine butter, nutella, and sugars.
2. Add sriracha (could add less if want very mild cookie), eggs, and vanilla.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Combine both mixtures.
5. Add chocolate chips (could add more or less than suggested)
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Let dough chill for 15 minutes in fridge.
8. make one inch balls of dough on pam-sprayed pan.
9. Criss cross each ball with a fork so they will cook more evenly.
10. Cook for 8 minutes in oven.
11. Sprinkle as many poprocks as you want over the freshly baked cookies.
12. Allow cookies to cool for 15 minutes.
READY TO EAT! :)

This cookie is creative because it incorporates uncommonly used cookie flavor of sriracha into a great tasting, cohesive cookie. The cookie's outcome was really dictated by its design process. Throughout the project, trying many different ingredient tweaks, and getting feedback from roommates every step of the way extremely helped. For example by getting feedback, the great idea of including pop rocks was gained. The cookie is novel, valuable (because they're delicious), and feasible.

Recent Comments

• crimm013: I really like your idea, especially how there's the teaching read more
  • cospe002: Sophie, I think that your video was clear and to read more
  • grang074: I love the sheer number of ideas you generated. You read more
  • fadne019: Wow! The documentation of your thought process for the scamper read more
  • hafte004: First off it was a joy to read through your read more
  • kollm027: The dreidel was a great object to pursue for this read more
  • hjalt002: Hi Sophia, I'd like to point out that there are read more
  • ivers469: Sophie, I enjoyed reading your post. I'm a non-practicing Christian read more
  • schw1562: As an observant (although atheist) Jew, I would be glad read more
  • joh10561: Hello, it is pretty cool you are assigned with Hanukkah! read more

Recent Assets

• Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 10.03.27 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 8.42.40 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 12.38.02 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 12.19.31 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 12.11.02 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 11.46.51 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.21.25 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.09.17 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.09.06 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 5.08.42 AM.png