Assignment1

The Sriracha Nutella Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie Sprinkled with Pop Rocks

In making my creative cookie, I wanted to focus on finding ingredients that successfully combine with the unique flavor of Sriracha. When brainstorming, I came up with dark chocolate, hazelnut, and oatmeal. Through lots of web browsing I saw that many people like sriracha with peanut butter, and some have tried to make sriracha peanut butter cookies. Since I do not like peanut butter, I thought maybe nutella would be good with sriracha instead because it is partially a nut butter as well. The oatmeal with sriracha combination came about in the brainstorming when I came across that many add sriracha to their breakfast in the morning. I thought maybe a sriracha oatmeal cookie could be good if that were the case. Lastly, my love for dark chocolate bars with chili powder made me want to put dark chocolate in at least one of the trial batches.

After brainstorming, I jumped into experimenting with the actual ingredients. I made oatmeal and added some sriracha. I did not like it personally so I crossed the sriracha oatmeal cookie idea off the list.

Moving on, I went forward with making sriracha nutella cookies. First nutella sriracha cookie dough batchI split the batch to try to get a few different variations of sriracha flavor incorporated. I setup my cookie recipe by looking at some other peanut butter cookie recipes. I decided to also add brown sugar. The batch that I added a little more sriracha to was more successful because you could taste the kick of the sriracha, but it was not overpowering. Half of my roommates (3 out of 6) preferred this
Thumbnail image for experimentation cookie
Thumbnail image for Experimentation Cookie 2
From there, I melted dark chocolate and covered the tops of my cookies with it. With Halloween approaching, a lot of candy has been all over my house. One of my roommates jokingly thought to sprinkle pop rocks on top of the chocolate covered cookies. It was actually very successful in that it just added a little sweeter sugar taste, but eating them was instantly much more fun of an experience.

I wanted to add some more dark chocolate and introduce some semi sweet chocolate to the recipe to counteract the sriracha taste still at this point. I wanted to still keep as much sriracha in them as I had liked, but make it so all of my roommates thoroughly like them as well. So from here I added a mixture of dark chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batch. I tried a batch where I sprinkled the cookies with pop rocks before baking them. This did not work out. The pop rocks just melted into the cookie like I thought they might. Thumbnail image for Pop Rocks Can't be CookedIn the final batch I sprinkled the pop rocks on top when the cookies were fresh out of the oven before allowing them to cool so that the rocks would stick without having to add more chocolate.

Thumbnail image for Final Cookie!

Final Recipe (Makes 5 dozen):
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1.5 cups Nutella
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sriracha
5-10 packages of poprocks
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2.75 cups flour

1. Combine butter, nutella, and sugars.
2. Add sriracha (could add less if want very mild cookie), eggs, and vanilla.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Combine both mixtures.
5. Add chocolate chips (could add more or less than suggested)
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Let dough chill for 15 minutes in fridge.
8. make one inch balls of dough on pam-sprayed pan.
9. Criss cross each ball with a fork so they will cook more evenly.
10. Cook for 8 minutes in oven.
11. Sprinkle as many poprocks as you want over the freshly baked cookies.
12. Allow cookies to cool for 15 minutes.
READY TO EAT! :)

This cookie is creative because it incorporates uncommonly used cookie flavor of sriracha into a great tasting, cohesive cookie. The cookie's outcome was really dictated by its design process. Throughout the project, trying many different ingredient tweaks, and getting feedback from roommates every step of the way extremely helped. For example by getting feedback, the great idea of including pop rocks was gained. The cookie is novel, valuable (because they're delicious), and feasible.

This is a very creative cookie! All of your flavors are very different which is beneficial because it makes your cookie extremely unique. I liked how you included your research and experimentation with your roommates into your post; that shows that you put work into it. I also think it was a good idea when you incorporated your own preferences into the cookie, I'm sure that made it more enjoyable to make! Overall, you did a great job and created a very unique and creative cookie!

I like how you used ingredients that aren't associated with a cookie like the sriracha and pop rocks. Your process of researching a peanut butter cookie recipe was really effective in the way you generated your final idea. That's a lot of ingredients for such a thin cookie! I cant wait to try it!

After read your blog, I think there are several things I can learn from you. First, I like how you clearly describe your idea generation process. You did a lot of research on who people expect their cookie and their taste. And you are not stop at cookie, you also considered people's behavior in the breakfast. Thus the addition of oatmeal make good sense.
Second, I like your process how did you filter your idea. You give a clear reason why you didn't follow the oatmeal cookie.
Third, your pictures show your process clearly, and I like you put the final recipe at the end of the blog. It looks like a conclusion and result from a "cookie creative experiment".
Those three aspects are weak in my blog. So I think you also help me improved.
By the way, your cookie taste great. I really like them.

After read your blog, I found there are several good things I can learn from you. First, I like your brainstorm process and idea generation process. It shows clearly that where your brainstorm starts and where it went. You not only think of your personal taste, but also do some research on what other people like. You also relate the cookie with people’s behavior in the breakfast, which is creative thinking. Second, I like how you filter your ideas. You came up with the oatmeal idea by doing research, and throw it away after tried. Both make a great sense. Third, you put a final recipe at the end of the blog, it seems like you give a conclusion and result from the “creative cookie experiment”.
The above three aspects are kind of weak in my blog. So I think you help me also. Personally speaking, if you can involve the picture of your oatmeal cookie also, it maybe more interesting.
By the way, your cookie taste really good.