« Newspapers... | Main | Second Life = Losers' Paradise »

The Internet Should Belong to Everyone

So, one thing that I recently learned which I thought was pretty interesting is that Minneapolis is one of the first cities in the country to begin city wireless. I’ve never really thought about it before, but it seems so sensible and practical to make wireless available for everyone. But even though it will be available throughout the city now, it still won’t be free – which I think is wrong.

I mean, how can someone OWN the internet?? How can you charge people to go online? It’s bizarre to me. I think everyone should have the ability to access the internet for free from anywhere. Whether or not they have a computer is another story, but wireless internet should not be owned by someone.

Not making wireless internet free and available for everyone just stresses the digital divide. According the class lecture, income is the greatest determining factor in why people have limited or no access to digital technology. I feel like the internet is such a huge part of my life that I really don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have access to it for longer than a week. And to think that some people rarely or never go online is crazy to me. The internet is just so full of information and is so useful that I think everyone needs to have free access to it.

I thought the quote Peter Fleck included in his lecture by Joshua Breitbart was very interesting: “Digital inclusion is like saying poor people, people of color, and non-English speakers are allowed to shop in white neighborhoods.” We shouldn’t be including people in this technology, it should be everyone's to begin with.