April 2010 Archives

Update: NEW Digital Focus

Unfortunately, my initial ideas aren't doing much for me anymore. I'm still trying to tackle this idea of "modern feminism" that I've been struggling with for a while, but using a slightly different approach. Thus, a NEW Digital Focus.

Things that will stay the same are:
--Use of silhouettes
--Use of a clothes line
--Use of clothespins
--Use of text

Things that will change are:
--Use of "digital embroidery"
--Use of bed sheets
--Use of interactive medium

I've been concentrating on creating handkerchiefs with the "digital embroidery" along with the text that are referencing digital media. Here are the images I have so far.

Handkerchief 1.jpg

Handkerchief 2.jpg

Handkerchief 3.jpg

Handkerchief 4.jpg

I would like to use a straight-forward approach by using t-shirt transfer paper to apply the images to the handkerchiefs, however when I went shopping I purchased the wrong transfer paper (transfer paper for colored fabric) and ended up learning from that mistake. Here's a blush-worthy failure...

DSC00711small.jpg

More information about the bed sheets to come soon as well as a mock up of the potential space!

Digital Focus In Progress:

So after the last failure at transfer images onto the clothespins, I tweaked the process a little and came up with something a little more predictable. It still didn't turn out exactly as I would have liked, but again some learning took place which is all I can ask for. Here are a few pictures of what I've been doing and some of the results.

The product I've been using is Golden Acrylic Matte Medium.

DSC00693small.jpg

I put a couple coats of the medium on the surface of the clothespins and let them dry. This helped create a barrier between the absorbent surface of the wood and the layer of medium that would suspend the ink being transferred.

DSC00694small.jpg

I used a fairly thick final layer of medium before I pressed the inkjet transparency paper (with printed imagery) onto the clothespins.

DSC00697small.jpg

After allowing them to dry completely (overnight) I was able to peel the transparency paper off (carefully) and I was left with a pretty clear images.

DSC00712small.jpg

In hind-sight, I would have extended my layer of medium to cover the entire area of the clothespin so that the method wasn't so overly obvious.

DSC00717small.jpg

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from April 2010 listed from newest to oldest.

March 2010 is the previous archive.

May 2010 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en