Recently in Digital Focus Category

Digital Focus In Progress:

So after the last failure at transfer images onto the clothespins, I tweaked the process a little and came up with something a little more predictable. It still didn't turn out exactly as I would have liked, but again some learning took place which is all I can ask for. Here are a few pictures of what I've been doing and some of the results.

The product I've been using is Golden Acrylic Matte Medium.

DSC00693small.jpg

I put a couple coats of the medium on the surface of the clothespins and let them dry. This helped create a barrier between the absorbent surface of the wood and the layer of medium that would suspend the ink being transferred.

DSC00694small.jpg

I used a fairly thick final layer of medium before I pressed the inkjet transparency paper (with printed imagery) onto the clothespins.

DSC00697small.jpg

After allowing them to dry completely (overnight) I was able to peel the transparency paper off (carefully) and I was left with a pretty clear images.

DSC00712small.jpg

In hind-sight, I would have extended my layer of medium to cover the entire area of the clothespin so that the method wasn't so overly obvious.

DSC00717small.jpg

Digital Focus Presentation

After my Digital Focus presentation I think my ideas are a little clearer than they were a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I'm still not completely convinced about everything, but I am working through it. Here is my presentation I gave to my class which talks about my inspirations and has some examples of some of my previous work that is related to this theme/project.

Inspirations:

Vintage dress patterns and the imagery found on them have been an inspiration to me for quite a while now. The simplicity and line quality is very true to what I try to achieve in my own work. With me, more is less.

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Vintage Pattern Envelopes.jpg

Traditionally silhouette portraiture was paper-cut like this example from Hans Christian Andersen.

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Hans Christian Andersen.jpg

This work by Kara Walker is a large-scale, paper-cut that she adheres to the wall of the gallery.

Thumbnail image for Kara Walker.jpg

The simplicity and use of a shadow to convey a mood or idea is directly related to the work I've been exploring recently.

Thumbnail image for Kumi Yamashita.jpg

Wilhelm Staehle's work is using silhouettes but pairing irony or humor along with it. I tend to struggle conveying my idea solely using imagery so I often turn to language to help clarify my ideas.

Thumbnail image for Wilhelm Staehle.jpg

This form of feminist art combines type with a traditionally "craft" medium. One of my longtime grudges has been that craft has remained separate from "high art."

Thumbnail image for Stitch Bitchery.jpg

My work:

This white on black silhouette embodies an element of art that I tend to manifest in throughout all my work: simplicity.

Thumbnail image for Chandelier.jpg

This digital drawing I feel connects to this project on a certain level in that the figure is simple, of another era and remains anonymous.

Thumbnail image for Darcy.jpg

Here is an example of how I have used these vintage silhouettes in embroidery.

Thumbnail image for Embroidery.jpg

This (poorly scanned!) relief print I made recently shows another form that this theme has taken with my work. I have been struggling with this idea and these images I have in my head for a while now and would, quite honestly, like to move on!

Thumbnail image for Relief Print.jpg

So the "gist" of my project looks like this:

Silhouettes--Which to me is a way to represent a figure in a specific yet anonymous way.
Clothespins--With art, I feel that by adding functionality to it gives it another layer of meaning which is significant.

Handkerchiefs--These pieces of material would be a catalyst for embroidery and would contain modern day "mutterings" or things spoken under the breath by a woman. Also, the handkerchiefs in this case would be connotative of a personal belonging which could be tucked away in a sleeve or pocket to conceal the words.

Clothesline--The clothesline is a tool that has been used primarily by women throughout time, traditionally for drying and hanging clothes. Including this in the work would indicate a presence that had once used the clothesline as well as the action that takes place there.

Ink-jet transparency transfers--By using a digital component in the work, the ideas and concept are brought into contemporary times which could indicate that some of these oppressive notions are still seen today.

Text--Often I turn to text to further "illustrate" the meaning and message in my visual works. This text would indicate a type of "modern feminism" rather than a more traditional feminism, if that even exists!

Proposition

Project Title: Feminine [Dis]Advantage

Media: Tactile/Digital/Mixed Media

Format Plan: 50(?) clothes-pins with inkjet transferred imagery. Possibly some embellishment using a wood-burning tool.

Theme or Ideas: I would like to address feminist issues and the idealized connotations derived from vintage imagery and aesthetics. Using the silhouette, the figures remain recognizable, yet anonymous.

Plan/Process: 1) Digitally draw silhouettes 2) Print transparencies 3) Transfer imagery 4) Embellish 5) Mount/Display

Artwork/artist(s) influence: Vintage dress pattern envelopes mostly inspire this work and the art unfortunately goes unidentified. Artists from the era include Leon Benigni and Luigi Bompard. Silhouette artists include August Edward, John Miers and Hans Christian Andersen.

How is it shaped by digital media: I'd like to reintroduce the 21st century to the beauty in the simplicity of silhouette art and it seems only natural that in order to relate a digital component be used.

dress1.jpg

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Digital Focus category.

Avatar is the previous category.

NEW Digital Focus is the next category.