Recently in NEW Digital Focus Category

Ways of Working: Tweed Museum of Art

After many difficulties and a lot of mental processing, I eventually produced some great work that I'm really proud of! Especially after having worked hard to complete everything for the opening of the show "Ways of Working." I'm very satisfied with my pieces and really grateful for the opportunity to show them in a gallery setting!

Although I didn't show this latest work that I've been updating about on my blog, I'm happy with the way they've turned out. I completed 4 handkerchiefs that are embellished with inkjet transfers that are the images you see in the post below.

The work I DID have in the Tweed though were two twin flat sheets painted with coffee and grape juice. This work is talking about femininity, expectations society has of women, conformity and difficulties women have faced to become more than just housewives and caretakers. These "stains" on the sheets mimic and reflect what women have struggled to overcome and have attempted to "wipe away" these longstanding injustices, stereotypes, and inequality.

IMG_2471small.jpg

IMG_2482small.jpg

IMG_2487small.jpg

Show Opening:

Yesterday we had the opening reception for the show titled "Ways of Working." It was a lot of fun to install and be able to work together. My pieces went up very nicely and quickly. I didn't expect a lot of problems, but you always have to prepare for the unexpected! Overall, the show is VERY diverse yet mysteriously cohesive. I will be posting pictures sometime very soon since the only ones I have right now were taken with my phone. :D

Thanks to everyone who came out to support us and for those who are saying such great things about my work!

Update: NEW Digital Focus

Unfortunately, my initial ideas aren't doing much for me anymore. I'm still trying to tackle this idea of "modern feminism" that I've been struggling with for a while, but using a slightly different approach. Thus, a NEW Digital Focus.

Things that will stay the same are:
--Use of silhouettes
--Use of a clothes line
--Use of clothespins
--Use of text

Things that will change are:
--Use of "digital embroidery"
--Use of bed sheets
--Use of interactive medium

I've been concentrating on creating handkerchiefs with the "digital embroidery" along with the text that are referencing digital media. Here are the images I have so far.

Handkerchief 1.jpg

Handkerchief 2.jpg

Handkerchief 3.jpg

Handkerchief 4.jpg

I would like to use a straight-forward approach by using t-shirt transfer paper to apply the images to the handkerchiefs, however when I went shopping I purchased the wrong transfer paper (transfer paper for colored fabric) and ended up learning from that mistake. Here's a blush-worthy failure...

DSC00711small.jpg

More information about the bed sheets to come soon as well as a mock up of the potential space!

This page is an archive of recent entries in the NEW Digital Focus category.

Digital Focus is the previous category.

Recently Noticed is the next category.