The author role for you

Author. Can create entries and pages, can edit their own entries and pages, upload files and publish. Can comment.

I made it, yay! As long as this is where I am actually supposed to go, that is. :-)

I hope its where your supposed to go!

I hope this is where your supposed to go!

Is this where we leave entries? This is just a comment spot.

Hey I figured it out! Yay!
The Art of Collaboration is working together 'without' wall creatively using gestures.

I figured it out! now to bookmark this page...

Huzzah.
Art and stuff.

Finally found this page :)

i don't believe this is where i am supposed to be leaving this but this ublog dealio is quite the frustration.

anywhm: collaboration is the culmination of ideas from a group where no individual has a greater say or impact than the rest, and whose final product is shows collectively the interests and aspirations of the whole.

Last weeks exercise demonstrated the aspects of the art of collaboration in that:

-we bounced ideas back and fourth until we came up with the 'final' idea. Like in my group, we tossed around ideas about how the story should go. This would demonstrate the idea of 'gesture'.

-given the short amount of time (and space behind the boards), we had to find our places/positions. I believe this sort of demonstrates 'flow' and the way we worked together; if it was fluid, tough or uncontrollable.

Last week's exercise included flow because we started out with an idea and we tossed it around and molded it until we came up with our final plan. We started out with the most basic of objects and in what seemed like no time, we had a finished performance. There was some spontaneity involved because we had an idea and sometimes that idea would spark an entirely different plan that we could use and build on. Gesture was also used during our performance through audience feedback.

The shadow show diplays our definition of collaboration through the process we used to make the show. My group worked together very well with no real leader. We thought up ideas and jumped around a little bit, with everyone putting their two-cents in until we all liked what we were creating. We were so involved in the project that we were able to create something with a short time limit and no excess materials.

Our shadow show pertained to our definition of collaboration because we actively worked together and felt flow to creat the shows. Our group really relied on our materials to decide what directions we were going to take, such as when we decided to cut the cardboard into a face, we had to go that route and let the face tell us what to do next essentially.
We tried to have a leader at times and we all led throughout the process, but we really just worked as one unit, not realizing when we had made decisions because we were communicating on a different level it seemed, at least to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience because above all I got to escape from the rigidity of my other classes and life and just got to have fun and let it flow. See you all tomorrow :-)

Our shadow show demonstrated the art of collaboration in a few different ways.

One way that it demonstrated collaboration was in our ideas. We had multiple people who were very different from each other and had man different ideas on what to do with the project. In the end the ideas worked together and a single product was made.

Another way collaboration was exemplified was in the elements we used. The paper, the candle, the cardboard, the sticks, and the skewers worked together and separately to create our little world.

In developing our shadow show, our group obtained first-hand experience of "flow." We saw our project evolve as we bounced ideas around and eventually began creating our story line on bit at a time. We also got a little taste of the art of collaboration with the physical process of making our set: taking lots of separate things to make one, cohesive piece.

Last week as well as a portion of the previous week we worked on a shadow box project. We didnt really seem to mesh at first, there were so many ideas bouncing back and forth and we primarily seemed a bit disorganized. There wasnt really a distict leader in our group and in the end although it worked out it seemed as though we tried to include simply too many ideas into one. I still stick by my original definition of collaboration as the culmination of ideas from a group where no individual has a greater say or impact than the rest, and whose final product is shows collectively the interests and aspirations of the whole.

The shadow puppet show was a great way to test or ability to collaborate. At first our flow was not connected which limited the ability to come up with an idea. Soon though, we were able to have the same mind set while not knowing exactly what we wanted to do. Somehow we were able to come up with the idea that we would create a house full of monsters as a little boy walks through each room. It was a wonderful idea, but a little to spontaneous. Our vision was soo grand that we lost sense of collaborative space (5 people and a square of cardboard). We failed in that sense, but failure is necessary for success in the future.

I think the tea candle performance not only gave us a chance to collaborate and work with one another, but also let us (sometimes accidentally) work with flow in that one "puppeteer" would pause their gesture and it would be caught and continued by someone else.

The tea candle show was an excellent way to connect with one another in order to perform a show with very little space and very little time to produce. It was an awesome way to collaborate with everyone in our group to create something that we thought would be visually pleasing to all that was watching. Although our performance was not the best thing ever performed, it was still very fun working with everyone and playing out our personal characters for everyone to enjoy and laugh along with.

Hi guys, do we have to blog about our 2 hour drawing right now? I am so confused!!

I'm not really certain either...
I have no clue.

I think that I am just going to post my analyses of our “Time, Space, Silence” assignment here. . .It turned out to be easier than I anticipated; I needn’t have fretted and put it off so much. I originally wanted to do it outside in nature but it was too cold today so I was silent for two hours without any electronic devices in my bed, and it was cozy and warm.  I wrote in my document the Entire Time… I think that it helped to maintain my sanity haha. I thought that I would experience more profound thoughts and feelings, but it was really quite normal. At one point, I consciously tried to think “big thoughts” and I ended up planning my schedule for next semester instead. That’s just how my mind works, I guess. I didn’t draw that much, either, because I have a word-oriented mind as opposed to a doodle-friendly one. I wish I had the capacity to doodle. I felt accomplished after completing the exercise, which is a definite positive externality even if I neglected to think profoundly.
The third exercise for me was much more challenging to stick to the time limit. I had to try and remove my mind from obsessing over the time and just do, which the bridge and silence activities helped with, because they allowed my mind to wander and just experience. Forget our unyielding concept of time in everyday life and learn to experience what’s actually happening around you, as opposed to what’s going to happen next.

I guess I'll follow suit and put my comments here.

In exercise one, I didn't find any problems. Essentially I just looked at the unique paintings for various clubs for a half hour and got off the bridge after. I suppose because you have to extend your time on the bridge, it essentially shrinks the physical space. Each step seems too big when you have to make your trip 30 minutes. There really weren't people looking at or talking to me. They seemed to be using the bridge as a tool rather than what I was doing.

In exercise two, I was very bored for two hours. This exercise expands time rather than shrinking space. Minutes feel much longer.

Shrinking space and expanding time definitely applied to my repeated motion. My motion was to get out of my chair, walk down to the mailbox, and check mail. Because this runs the risk of catching curious attention, I tried to take my time so that I wouldn't do it too often, so this made my distance shorter and the time it took to complete the project longer.

I chose to spend the second exercise on my bed in my room. I think my experience is opposite of most people’s; I started off very much enjoying the exercise, but as time went on I became increasingly uncomfortable. I think this was mainly due to the fact that I wasn’t very happy with any of the drawings I was producing. I usually don’t have a difficult time producing something that I like, but for whatever reason, nothing was coming out right.
After about forty-five minutes of frustration I stopped drawing and began to look around the room. I saw my closed macbook, which reminded me of the online quiz I have yet to complete. I then started thinking about all of the other assignments I still have to do, and began to wonder why this exercise was assigned.
After clouding my head with worry, I decided to give drawing one last time in hope that it would help relieve my anxiety. I wrote the word silence for the last hour.

Here is my analysis of the 2 hours that I spent next to the river. It is an analysis of the drawing and the time spent there:
The leaves are brittle yet golden on the tree. IT seems that ages does good things for these leaves. They start out green, fresh, vibrant, but as they age they become spectacularly breath-taking. The sun hits them creating an illusion of magnificent gold. Its to bad that they soon fall, turn brown. All things eventually die, but become part of the earth, the very thing that brought it life. Life is golden.
So I soon meditated for a while and soon got lost in my own dream-like state. All things seemed possible. While meditating, your min may go through a hundred, maybe a thousand things, but the moment you come out of your trance, you don't remember a single thing. Your mind is blank, but it finds something even better...complete, pure solace and serenity and peace. My mind flowed in meditation as the great river of the Mississippi, in which I spend these two beautiful hours. The wind provided me with a sense of freedom, while the sun lent me its rays of energy, warmth and happiness. Its truly quite wonderful. It reminds myself that no matter what happens, I will always have that burning light inside me.
The fire and light inside you will never go out as long as the length of your internal match-stick is eternal and infinite.

In exercise one I just walked very slowly through the tunnel and found many things. First of all, the bridge usually seems very long because I'm normally rushing across it so I'm not late for class, but when given 30 minutes to cross the bridge, it seems very short and not intimidating. My relationships with others were bleak I felt, because I also felt that I was being stared at almost in a way that suggested they were worried about my mental health.
During exercise two I felt two things happen. At first, when my drawings were lacking flow and I was becoming discouraged with myself, minutes went by very slowly. As I found flow however, the minutes passed with ease and it was quite enjoyable to let go any responsibilities I have during the day and let my mind coordinate with my hand to make a drawing.
The last 15 minutes I spent riding my bike. It's not nearly as monotonous as making your bed or brushing your teeth for 15 minutes, but it applied to the assignment. I love riding my bike so I found this exercise very pleasurable. It was freeing and I didn't get any looks of discouragement because many people hear love riding their bike just as much as I do.

While I was sitting there for two hours I slowly found myself losing track of time. I thought it would feel like I had been sitting there for a long time like everyone else has said, but when my friend knocked on my door I was surprised that that time had passed so fast. My drawing just started with the words, “sitting in silence.” I thought that that was all that I was going to add to it. Then, I started adding the things I saw out my window, leaves and trees. Then I started drawing things that I wish were outside, such as a waterfall. It just kept getting crazier and crazier because the time was stretching out and things kept flowing onto the paper.

oops, didn't know we supposed to do the bridge one up here too...
At the beginning I was very conscious of what I was doing,and what others were doing, but that faded after about 10 minutes. My time changed very quickly. I thought that it would take forever and that people would look at me very strangely, but that was not the case at all. I mean of course I got some weird looks, but I did not really care. I completely did not realize that I was supposed to be done in 5 minutes when I had only crossed half of the bridge. My space was so trapped inside my head and I was so focused on my space that I barely noticed when I saw people that I knew,and I had to stop and chat with them. I wish that I had gone later in the day though them because I could not really see outside. The windows were very misty and there were drops of water coming down them creating a very restricting feeling. It was like I was stuck inside a building. It was very limiting and I did not like the windows being covered because I love the view that you can get from walking on the outside of the bridge.

It looks like my comment from a million years ago about our puppet shows never came into internet existence. So ill just quick say how I felt flow was used; we were the face party group and we really didn’t have a concrete idea of what we were going to do. We honestly didn’t even really have it together when we performed. I think what happened was we all got so pumped up about our topic that everyone kept on saying all of these wonderful things and we couldn’t really choose which one we wanted to take and run with. I think if we had more time it could have been really awesome. Flow played a huge roll, we went with the "flow" so much that we lost track of time. I'll write about my bridge and 2 hour long quiet session at a later date when i have a clear mind. As for now i need to get to work!

For the second exercise I decided to do it outside in nature where I assumed it would be calm and quiet. I was wrong. I had gone and sat on a log by the river but the animals around me seemed to go crazy. It was hard for me to get my attention to focus on drawing or doodling when there were woodpeckers around me and squirrels chasing each other. Also there was a fish that kept jumping out of the water. I did get some drawings out of me but I found a lot of the time went towards zoning out. The time period of two hours seemed a bit too long personally for this exercise. The time seemed to go on forever, most likely because I wasn't really doing anything, whereas, in my usual life it is go, go, go.

In the Bridge experiment, the time, as well as, the space expanded. Everything I was doing was in slow motion which I think caused it to feel this way to me.

In exercise 3 where we repeated an action for 15 minutes my body became a robot. I didn't have to think about my actions anymore but I was still just as productive. The thing I chose to repeat over and over was sealing and stamping envelopes. I did it for more than 15 minutes but I had become thoughtless after a few minutes.

i would agree that in the tunnel i had the idea of time set in stone in my head as a go go go kind of medium. Time is man made and i think it is important for all of us to just "be be be". I didn't use anything to time my tunnel experiment besides my steps. I tried to slow down my world so that it would take 30 min instead of 10 min. I like to just "be" more than i like to "go" i have found. Although it can be difficult to just be.

This page contains a single entry by mazzola published on September 9, 2010 11:30 AM.

How to put video onto our blog was the previous entry in this blog.

COLA-Lunch is the next entry in this blog.