Distribution -- Social Agenda -- Sarah Even

Distribution and the Social Agenda
-Sarah Even

A newer product that Kleenex released early in 2010 is their disposable hand towels. Each box is around $3.50 and has 60 sheets. In one woman's review of the product she mentions that her family of four used one box up in 5 days. She said it was a nice option to have for messy children, but that it wasn't really that cost effective. At a rate of 5 days usage per box, her family would use about 6 boxes a month at a cost of $21. For a year's worth of disposable Kleenex hand towels it would cost them $252.

I think Kleenex is being a bit socially irresponsible here. Their method of distributing these hand towels is not eco-friendly. Even providing these sheets on a roll instead of nicely cut sheets would cut production waste and energy. But who would want some big, ugly paper towel holder attached to the bathroom wall? Oh, did I mention they are made out of 100% virgin fibers so that they are soft enough to use on your face? I was just appalled that they actually thought this was a good idea. The only way I'd even consider using this product is if it were made from recycled goods--which isn't even all that environmentally friendly either. For a company like Kleenex, which has become a generic trademark for the word tissue, coming out with such a socially irresponsible product is a big deal. Consumers think, if Kleenex made it, it must be good. Because they trust their tissue product, they trust their new hand towels as well.

Perhaps every person in your family could have their own hand towel that is washed (using environmentally friendly detergent) once a week. That way, the only germs you'd be picking up are your own. Also, isn't the idea of washing hands that they are clean afterwards? This idea is outrageous to me. At a rate of $252 a year, it would be more financially possible to purchase a hand dryer that could be used for years. Now they are made to use very little electricity too. You can buy one on Amazon.com for $40, $350, or even $1,400. Check it out here

In the end, I think companies need to really think out the possible harmful effects of their work. Did Kleenex really think about and plan for the possibilities of the new hand towels? Did they consider all the waste that would be created? Is this a product we really need? When a new idea or product is created, we should all take a step back and consider the method of distribution, production, and the degree of need that the product has. Always consider, "is there a better way?"

Kleenex's site

A Mom's review

"Hand Towel Dispenser Views | Decorative Hand Towels | Home & Bath." Kleenex® Brand Tissues | The Leader in Facial Tissue Softness. Web. 08 Nov. 2010. .

Ice, Danelle. "Take It or Leave It: Kleenex Hand Towels - Home Ever After." Home Ever After. 1 Sept. 2010. Web. 08 Nov. 2010. .

I like this – I remember seeing the ads for these towels and thinking yuck, how wasteful and counter-productive in encouraging people to be eco friendly. If people are so concerned about germs, why can’t we get them to each use their own individual cloth hand towel? This is common in a lot of other countries, even in public a lot of places don't supply hand towels, you are expected to have your own.

One company now has tubeless TP:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/environment/2010-10-27-1Atube27_ST_N.htm
It's small, but it's a step in the right direction, unlike Kleenex.

This page contains a single entry by evenx016 published on November 8, 2010 11:07 AM.

Returnability (reusability) | Personal | Lisa Hocraffer was the previous entry in this blog.

Quality and the Social Agenda is the next entry in this blog.