A Cover For All Occasions

Blog Prompt #7
Design three title page options for research project...

My first design...

My second design...

Anddddd my third design...

Yay! I like the first two the most!

Empowering Women Through Images

Blog Prompt #6: Look for and document some examples of presentation/documentation styles that your term project may take as inspiration.

In the presentation of my term project, I would like to do a book similar to the thesis books that we were shown in class. Our Millennium Goal Project is about empowering women, specifically in Afghanistan.

I was attracted to the red stripes used on a CMYK cover for June of 2007. I feel that if I used the color red, it would emphasize the lack of empowerment for women and the atrocities that they endure in that culture.

The use of black and white photographs of Muslim women would be a great contrast to the red stripes. Only the use of women in our presentation is important because we want to present women as the key to our goal.

-All Images Are Found At http://www.scrippscollege.edu/media/magazine/black-and-white -

Some other ideas that I really like are samples of John Clark’s work. The style is done with a graphic print on a printed page

Each print is named after the few words outlined and highlighted with black.

-All Images Can Be Found At http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=40878&order=§ion_id=&page=1 -

The Shaping of Me

Blog Promt #5
Explore through image and text how the built environment effects (supports or distracts) who you are. Speculate in terms of frameworks, clockworks, phenomena and oppositions.

In my world there are several frameworks, clockworks, phenomena and oppositions within my built environment that effects who I am.

This is my home...

And this how far away my first childhood home was from my second. My parents are very outgoing.
(All maps are found on mapquest.com)

My entire life up until college I have lived in a middle class white suburb. When I was ten I moved five blocks away within the same town. The environment around me shaped me in many ways.

My Mediterranean Hideaway

Blog Prompt #4

"If you were completely released from the constraints of the 'architecture school' program, what would you do architecturally, artistically, bodily, lyrically, etc that would still have an impact on your environment. Describe a real or imagined place which might allow you to do this. Explore through images and text."

If I were to be completely released from the constraints of the 'architecture school' program I would like to open a small hotel. This is a very imaginary resort that would be set on an island in the Mediterranean Sea. I would love to have a hotel that would be tucked in the forest on the ocean. Instead of a regular Mediterranean style of hotel, I would like the hotel to be more British inspired.
I absolutely love the style of small British estates, but love the idea of the Mediterranean Sea. So instead of large arches on white stucco siding and red clay tiles for the roof, I would like a more rustic building that captured the essence of old England.

Instead of this...

-http://tompricearchitects.com/publications/ph-estn.html-

I would like something like this... (but in the woods... on the seafront)

-http://www.marhall.com/history.html-

Like somewhere tucked in here...

-http://www.hickerphoto.com/mediterranean-sea-shore-picture-11058-pictures.htm-

I would like to integrate the British style with the warmer climate by having large windows, high ceilings, and wide openings. It would include many conservatories around the area, because basically I'm obsessed with gorgeous conservatories. Like these...

-(All Three Images Can Be Found At)-
-http://parishconservatories.com/conservatories.html-

This would impact the environment because it would be something different in the landscape and would give people a place to stay. It would be amazing to own something that you get to share with so many people.

The Missing Children

Blog #3
Propose a set of images, quotes and a playlist of songs that influence your values with regard to your selected Research Project Millenium Development Goals. Explain.

My values in regard to the Research Project Millenium Development Goal number 4, Reduce Child Mortality, started when I was a young child myself. My mother runs an in-home daycare service so I have always been surrounded by children and felt a compassion for them. I have worked at an after-school daycare center and volunteered at many summer camps. I absolutely love children and hate the thought of them not surviving past the age of five.

The Millennium Development Goals Report says that "estimates for 2005 indicate that 10.1 million children died before their fifth birthday, mostly from preventable causes. Though infant and child mortality rates have declined globally, the pace of progress has been uneven across religions and countries. Accelerated improvements are needed most urgently in sub-Saharan Africa, Southern Asia, CIS countries in Asia and in Oceania. Not surprisingly, the lack of progress in child survival has been mirrored by neglect of many basic health services in parts of the developing world."

I am a very sensitive person and cry often, but nothing gets me crying harder than the infomercials that have some actor or actress telling the world about how small little children are dying in Africa, and for only one dollar a day, you could save this child's life because a dollar would buy food and vaccines. I found a similar video on youtube.com, that made me want to cry equally as much. The video contains images of children in Africa and statistics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnrx7JeDhg&feature=related (The user disabled it from being able to be embedded.)

After watching this video, I found some information on how to donate to children in Africa. An interesting website was http://www.food4africa.org. The website has 7 Facts of malnutrition and starvation:
1. 1 in 10 infants die within the first 12 months of life
2. 1 in 5 children suffer from chronic malnutrition
3. More than 12 cases a month of Marasmus or Kwashiorkor are seen in one clinic in Alexander
4. 1 in 10 children suffers from severe malnutrition
5. 50% of children have a calcium, iron and zinc defiency
6. 75% of South Africans, have inadequate access to food
7. More than 1 in 5 children are physically stunted due to malnutrition

Some songs that make me bawl because of the values I have about children are "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride.

"Alyssa Lies" by Jason Michael Carroll is about child abuse... this video will break your heart.

Another song that influences my values is "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley.

Louis Pasteur once said "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become." We can have tenderness for these children of poverty and disease, but it is hard to have respect for what he may become when you know he has no future.

A quote that can basically sum up why I chose this goal in particular is by Marian Wright Edelman, "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become."

The Energy of Minneapolis

Blog Prompt #1
...inspired by Andy Goldsworthy (and our discussions), document and investigate, through text and image - this idea of energy, flow and transformation though the city.

As I walked out of my house tonight I was thinking about how dinner really was not satisfying and how all I wanted to do was to be in my hometown. A home cooked meal was really all I wanted at tgat moment. My house in Minneapolis is on University Avenue directly in front of the remains... or construction site of the 35W bridge. As soon as I walked out of my house, all thoughts of home were replaced with the amazing atmosphere of Minneapolis.
In my hometown, a western suburb, I walk out of my house to find a quiet small neighborhood with the silent night full of stars. There is a different energy in Minneapolis though. While my hometown goes to sleep for the night, my city awakes with enthusiasm. In the foreground, construction continues all night. It lights up the area, showing the movement and animation below. The energy never wavers for the continuing night construction with shouts and sounds of machines. Moving farther on, the eye catches smoke stacks still at work and then on to the city itself. Beautiful Minneapolis with it's neverending energy. To me, the city never looks the same twice. Tonight, it was crowned by the fine particles of pollution that were warned about in a health advisory to students today. Other days, it looks calm and peaceful or stoic and harsh in the morning light.
My homesickness vanished as I thought about how no one should take for granted the beauty of man's skill and ingenuity... not only of the remarkable view of such an immense skyline but of the feelings, emotions, and memories it creates. Whether from my close panorama or from the tallest point in my hometown twenty five miles away, Minneapolis still evokes the same energy, flow, and transformation.
My little part of the city is transforming a lot due to the collapse of the bridge. Constant construction. Our view from the window changes daily. The new bridge will give new energy flow to the area. After a heartfelt loss, our neighborhood needs something to remind us of the loss besides a large gaping hole or cranes and bulldozers. Our neighborhood is excited for the memorial that functions as a new and improved bridge and walkway for students.