« The Energy of Minneapolis | Main | My Mediterranean Hideaway »

The Missing Children

Blog #3
Propose a set of images, quotes and a playlist of songs that influence your values with regard to your selected Research Project Millenium Development Goals. Explain.

My values in regard to the Research Project Millenium Development Goal number 4, Reduce Child Mortality, started when I was a young child myself. My mother runs an in-home daycare service so I have always been surrounded by children and felt a compassion for them. I have worked at an after-school daycare center and volunteered at many summer camps. I absolutely love children and hate the thought of them not surviving past the age of five.

The Millennium Development Goals Report says that "estimates for 2005 indicate that 10.1 million children died before their fifth birthday, mostly from preventable causes. Though infant and child mortality rates have declined globally, the pace of progress has been uneven across religions and countries. Accelerated improvements are needed most urgently in sub-Saharan Africa, Southern Asia, CIS countries in Asia and in Oceania. Not surprisingly, the lack of progress in child survival has been mirrored by neglect of many basic health services in parts of the developing world."

I am a very sensitive person and cry often, but nothing gets me crying harder than the infomercials that have some actor or actress telling the world about how small little children are dying in Africa, and for only one dollar a day, you could save this child's life because a dollar would buy food and vaccines. I found a similar video on youtube.com, that made me want to cry equally as much. The video contains images of children in Africa and statistics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnrx7JeDhg&feature=related (The user disabled it from being able to be embedded.)

After watching this video, I found some information on how to donate to children in Africa. An interesting website was http://www.food4africa.org. The website has 7 Facts of malnutrition and starvation:
1. 1 in 10 infants die within the first 12 months of life
2. 1 in 5 children suffer from chronic malnutrition
3. More than 12 cases a month of Marasmus or Kwashiorkor are seen in one clinic in Alexander
4. 1 in 10 children suffers from severe malnutrition
5. 50% of children have a calcium, iron and zinc defiency
6. 75% of South Africans, have inadequate access to food
7. More than 1 in 5 children are physically stunted due to malnutrition

Some songs that make me bawl because of the values I have about children are "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride.

"Alyssa Lies" by Jason Michael Carroll is about child abuse... this video will break your heart.

Another song that influences my values is "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley.

Louis Pasteur once said "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become." We can have tenderness for these children of poverty and disease, but it is hard to have respect for what he may become when you know he has no future.

A quote that can basically sum up why I chose this goal in particular is by Marian Wright Edelman, "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become."