« MATHEMATICS, AT THE CORE OF EVERY DESIGN | Main | A UNIVERSAL COMPUTER »

Technopolis Twister

Technopolis, as I understand it, is the creation of things in the world that were built by humans for the bettering of humans. The creations come into existence by human thoughts, knowledge, experiences, and desires. Nature, on the other hand, consists of creations that human beings are trying desperately to understand. Although the two, human beings and nature, seem somewhat separate entities, they really feed off one another. Man could not exist without nature, although unfortunately, nature has and could again exist without humans. This is perhaps why humans are so keen to learn from nature to better understand how the two can coexist.

windows bliss.bmp

I see technology as a means of diverting humans from nature, while simultaneously, humans use technology to bring themselves closer to nature.
Everyday, millions of people around the globe spend a good percentage of their day looking at bliss. I don't mean some beautiful landscape, with rolling hills as far as the eyes can see, or sharp blue skies that play a muted melody. No, what I'm talking about is Windows XP background titled bliss. A great compensation for what we humans are missing out on everyday, right? Maybe not so much! To their credit, Microsoft realized that many people spend countless hours staring at their computer screens between work and home, depriving themselves of mother nature right outside their window, so they brought mother nature inside. You can almost feel the sunshine radiating off the flat screen monitor while you take a deeply inhale the sweet clean oxygen created by prairie landscape 12 inches from your nose. Is this really a great substitute for the real thing? It must be, as how many of you reading this can admit to spending several minutes, ok, perhaps hours, searching the web for a great photo for your desktop, only to be attracted to images portraying the wonders of nature? I know I sure have.

Perhaps you have trouble sleeping? Those new sound proof walls blocking traffic congestion from entering your home is actually suffocating what you desire the most, the sounds of nature. Crickets chirping, frogs croaking (okay maybe not to Elvis songs), birds twittering, wind flowing, tree rustling, and if you're lucky, waves crashing; the sounds of nature are without a doubt beautiful.
natures noises.jpg

But who needs the real thing anyways when you have:

homedics.jpg Photo from: http://www.naturestapestry.com/soundmachines.html
"The Sound Spa 5000 produces 6 different sounds (thunder, rainforest, ocean waves, rain, summer night, and waterfall). The SS-5000 has an AM/FM Atomic Clock Radio with a Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer with a remote sensor. It can project time and temperature on the ceiling."

Shoot, with all those features, you could nearly live without the sun!

No matter how hard we try escape mother nature, we are relentlessly pulled back in.