Week One - Oaxaca

I´ve now been in Oaxaca for 3 days and am still having difficulty shaking the dreamlike feeling I have once arriving here in Mexico. So far we have been taken care of very well by the professors and hotel staff at the location we are staying, Las Mariposas. Our hotel room is a studio apartment, with the typical red tile flooring, bright yellow walls adorned with mariposas (butterflies), and ceiling constructed with tiles and roof beams, laid out in four barrel vaults stretching overhead.

I have to say, I am feeling a bit spoiled. They cook us breakfast, make our beds, clean our bathrooms, and then we are served some of the best Mexican food down the street in a little restaurant called Maria´s...something or another. Somewhere in between we have get lectures and are off on our own to do homework. Of course, I cram in any exploring I can get!

Today I ran with a fellow student through the city uphill (we are in a valley), to the city´s ampitheatre early this morning. It provided probably the best view of the city, complete with hazy fog meandering between the many cathedrals in the city. Next time, I will bring my camera!

As for the schoolwork, I have been assigned to study a Stamp Museum, in particular, the four courtyards within. We have gotten tours of several courtyards throughout the downtown area and let me tell, none of them are even remotely similar, other than the fact they are all absolutely gorgeous.

Enjoy the photos, they give a glimpse of the school where I will have my studio...
View image

and some great eats on the street....

and a few miscellaneous!