Drobo followup a few months later | Main | What does a CMOS Rolling shutter look like?

Panasonic gone wacky

Please note, this blog has been archived and now lives at www.discretecosine.com

Uhh. Panasonic? Dudes? You're making my eyes bleed.

Webapp Wcs Stores Images Content Pressroom Ag-Hmc70-Avchd Slant2

Welcome everyone, to the Panasonic AG-HMC70, by far the ugliest camera I have ever seen. Seriously, I hope there's an aftermarket bodykit for this or something. Maybe with some ground effects and flared wheel arches ...

Oh yeah, it's a three chip, AVCHD camera that records to SD cars with an OIS leica lens. So that's all pretty neat. You get XLR jacks plus both an LCD and a viewfinder. AVCHD is still a bit of a funny format - I've seen very good AVCHD, and very bad AVCHD. Hopefully this tilts towards the former.

No price on this yet, though I'd expect it to come in under the HVX-200. Which really begs the question of why Panasonic, which has thrown all of its weight in the prosumer and professional field behind P2 and DVCProHD/AVC-Intra, would jump into the market with an AVCHD camera recording to SD. So very confusing.

Posted by at November 1, 2007 9:00 AM | News

Isn't that general form factor typical for the ENG type? The 13Mbps max bitrate seems to be kind of limited, even if it is AVC.

Posted by: JeffDM at December 1, 2007 6:25 PM

Posted by: JeffDM at December 1, 2007 6:26 PM