EX1 versus Red versus F23 | Main | RedBox?

Angry Man Tilts at at Windmills

Please note, this blog has been archived and now lives at www.discretecosine.com

StudioDaily is hosting a rant from Scott Simmons about all those darned kids and their Final Cut Pro. He's upset that us young punks don't respect the old ways of doing things. While there is surely some truth in that, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

It's a common criticism in many technical fields - essentially, it's gotten too easy/affordable to do something that was once a protected trade. The influx of new users brings folks of all skill levels, and with all kinds of attitudes about the way the world should work. Final Cut makes it "too easy" to be an editor, so existing editors that have had to work hard for their skills feel threatened.

It's worth a read, if only to get a rise out of people.

Posted by at March 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Opinions

Colin;
It's not that I'm upset at "darned kids" as darned directors and producers who cut their own projects make the same mistakes ... when you talk about the old ways of doing things, those ways are standards set by broadcast networks and studios from way back. I don't think any of use can make them change these standards so why not learn how to do it properly?

Posted by: Scott at March 25, 2008 1:40 PM