Updated Definition Week 13

Last Week's Definition:
Leadership categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. As you practice your leadership skills and experience different situations you progressively become a better leader; experience and practice are both something you are not born with. As a leader you should be able to pick the best scenario for particular situations, and guide the group as a whole to a successful place. You must be able to stabilize a situation along with make adaptive changes in the behavior and work of people (Heifetz, Grashow & Linsky 2009). The most effective leaders encompass all of these traits but they should also be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability within the group and provide a sense of benevolence. Furthermore, as a leader you should be able to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, without reflection there is no room for growth. Looking at the "one-big-thing" is an item that can improve a leaders leadership-style (Kegan and Lahey 2009).

This Week's Defintion
Leadership categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. As you practice your leadership skills and experience different situations you progressively become a better leader. A leader must be able to be a great teammate as well as a solid communicator. As a leader you should be able to pick the best scenario for particular situations, and guide the group as a whole to a successful place. You must be able to stabilize a situation along with make adaptive changes in the behavior and work of people (Heifetz, Grashow & Linsky 2009). The most effective leaders encompass all of these traits but they should also be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability within the group and provide a sense of benevolence. Furthermore, as a leader you should be able to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, without reflection there is no room for growth. Looking at the "one-big-thing" is an item that can improve a leaders leadership-style (Kegan and Lahey 2009).

Analysis:
This week I tweaked my definition just a bit. I added the parts of my definition that I also added in my second leadership paper. This being that a efficient leader should also be able to be an awesome teammate. After reading the two articles from this week I also added that a leader should be a solid communicator. Without this trait leaders would not be able to direct their group, community, etc. to the place they need to be which also related to Saphiere's article which related communication style to circuses.

Kegan, R., & Lahey, L. L. (2009). "Identifying Each Person's One Big Thing" (pp. 63 - 67). Boston: Harvard Business Press.

Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009). "Leadership in a (permanent) crisis." Harvard Business Review, 87(7), 62-69. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=keh&AN=41997981&site=ehost-live

Updated Definition Week 11

Last Week's Definition:
Leadership categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. Leaders are not born, but rather made. As you practice your leadership skills and experience different situations you progressively become a better leader; experience and practice are both something you are not born with. As a leader you should be able to pick the best scenario for particular situations, and guide the group as a whole to a successful place. In times of crisis this characteristic can be especially useful. You must be able to stabilize a situation along with make adaptive changes in the behavior and work of people (Heifetz, Grashow & Linsky 2009). The most effective leaders encompass all of these traits but they should also be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability within the group and provide a sense of benevolence. Furthermore, as a leader you should be able to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, without reflection there is no room for growth. Looking at the "one-big-thing" is an item that can improve a leaders leadership-style (Kegan and Lahey 2009).

This Week's Definition:

Analysis:
This week I made some changes to my definition. I deleted some irrelevant ideas to come to a more precise definition. After reading Intentional Change From a Complexity Perspective (Boyatzis) I mostly understood that change is an intentional, meaningful experience and that people change in many different desired ways. However, without intentional efforts these changes can be slow and may reveal unintended consequences. These ideas can apply to leaders who can change their teams, communities, organizations and companies, but I felt as though it was not important enough to add to my definition this week. It is however a good concept to keep in the back of my head. Through the intentional change theory I learned how individuals, groups, etc. can bring about change in a desirable way. This concept will make my attempts at change much more clear in the future.

Boyatzis, R. E. (2006). "An Overview of Intentional Change from a Leadership Perspective." Journal of Management Development, 25(7), 607-623. doi:10.1108/02621710610678445

Updated Definition-Week 10

Last Week's Definition:
Leadership categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. Leaders are not born, but rather made. As you practice your leadership skills and experience different situations you progressively become a better leader; experience and practice are both something you are not born with. As a leader you should be able to pick the best scenario for particular situations, and guide the group as a whole to a successful place. In times of crisis this characteristic can be especially useful. You must be able to stabilize a situation along with make adaptive changes in the behavior and work of people (Heifetz, Grashow & Linsky 2009). The most effective leaders encompass all of these traits but they should also be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability within the group and provide a sense of benevolence. Furthermore, as a leader you should be able to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, without reflection there is no room for growth. Looking at the "one-big-thing" is an item that can improve a leaders leadership-style (Kegan and Lahey 2009). In addition

This Week's Definition:

Analysis:
I decided not to change anything about my definition during this week's blog post because after reading the two articles I thought that my past definition already touched on what I learned this week. Although Komives, Lucas and McMahon talked a lot about group interaction and development, I previously wrote in my definition that leaders should be able to lead a group along with create a sense of stability and also pick the best scenario to guide the group in a successful direction. Komives, Lucas and McMahon talked a lot about decision-making methods, two being expert member and decision by authority without discussion. These two methods of decision making i believe highly apply to leadership roles.

Updated definition- Week 8

Last Week's Definition:
Leadership categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. Leaders are not born, but rather made. As you practice your leadership skills and experience different situations you progressively become a better leader. Experience and practice are both something you are not born with. As a leader you should be able to pick the best scenario for particular situations, and guide the group as a whole to a successful place. In times of crisis this characteristic can be especially useful. You must be able to stabilize a situation along with make adaptive changes in the behavior and work of people (Heifetz, Grashow & Linsky 2009). The most effective leaders encompass all of these traits but they should also be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability within the group and provide a sense of benevolence. Furthermore, as a leader you should be able to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, without reflection there is no room for growth.

This Week's Definition:

Analysis:
The difference in my definition from this week's to last week's is the addition of the "one-big-thing" idea. I believe this idea is an important one because it is a technique of looking at oneself to self-improve. If a leader focuses on too many things that are weaknesses in their leadership style, they will become overwhelmed, and ultimately will not succeed in fixing their weaknesses. On the other hand, if a leader looks at the big picture and focuses on developing their "one-big-thing" there is a higher chance that they will overcome their weakness and benefit in the long run. I left the rest of my definition the same because I believe that it is a concise definition of everything we have read and talked about so far in this class.

Updated definition of leadership- Week 7

Last Week's Definition:
Leadership categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. Leaders are not born, but rather made. As you practice your leadership skills and experience different situations you progressively become a better leader. Experience and practice are both something you are not born with. As a leader you should be able to pick the best scenario for particular situations, and guide the group as a whole to a successful place. In times of crisis this characteristic can be especially useful. You must be able to stabilize a situation along with make adaptive changes in the behavior and work of people (Heifetz, Grashow & Linsky 2009). The most effective leaders encompass all of these traits but they should also be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability within the group and provide a sense of benevolence.

This Week's Definition:

Analysis:
The difference in definitions from this week's to last week's was hardly different at all. The only change I made was the fact that leaders should be able to reflect on their strengths and weaknesses to make room for improvement. In the article by Astin, he pointed out that without self-reflection there wouldn't be self-knowledge and without self-knowledge it would be hard to knowledge others. Overall, I think Astin pointed out a very important characteristic of leaders, that no author/writer so far has done. It is extremely important for leaders to reflect on both their strengths and weaknesses if they strive to be they best that they can.

Astin, H. S., & Astin, A. W. (1996). A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp. 4 - 27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.d

Updated definition of leadership- Week 6

Last Week's Definition:
For this week, we read two different articles How Good People Make Tough Choices and Understanding the Foundations of Ethical Reasoning. The article by Kidder, How Good People Make Tough Choices, made me realize that as a leader you need to make tough choices between two decisions that can both be the potentially correct answer. As a leader, one should recognize the best route, so that they can lead the group, organization or so forth in the right direction. Leaders need to have many different traits, however this week I learned that they need to have an excellent sense of direction.

This Week's Definition:

Analysis of the differences in the definitions:
I kept my definition pretty much the same this week. However, choosing how broad I should keep my definition is becoming a struggle because the idea of leadership is such a broad topic. Keeping my definition to just a few thoughts and sentences is especially hard. Adding on to the fact that leaders should be able to gain the trust of a group, create a sense of stability and provide a sense of benevolence comes from the reading of this week. The reading talked about leadership in times of crisis which emphasizes each of those characteristics and in my opinion are essential to a productive leadership style.

Updated definition of leadership- Week 5

Updated definition of leadership

Over the past few weeks our class has read a few articles on what leadership means to different people. One recent article that we read, Deciding What You Believe by Robert Terry, made me think about what I consider a leader. One on the questions asked us if leaders are born or made. I believe very strongly that leaders are made. Through experience and practice as a leader you progressively become a better leader, something you can not be born with. I am also beginning to recognize the many traits a leader needs to encompass to be successful. Motivating people to see final results and using your traits in difficult situations are two things that make a successful leader.

What is Leadership?

To me leadership means many things, but most of all I think it categorizes a person who inspires and leads a group, community or team to achieve and attain a certain goal. I think leaders are both born and made, but in order to be a leader, you must be confident, driven and self-motivated. Exceptional leaders are always working to improve their leadership roles and always have the vision to succeed in their minds. Leadership is a characteristic that few people are able to have, but the few that do have this characteristic have a never dying sense of dedication.