Technopolis

Minneapolis.jpg

The technopoly is a society that introduces new technology constantly without necessarily looking at the repercussions of the technology. The word means technopoly means technology city and as a US citizen that is what I've been raised in. Lets look at some technologies. A technology is any tool which is utilized ranging anywhere from a pencil to a typewriter to a computer to a satellite, etc. From class we learned that the introduction of a new technology changes everything. Technology is always both good and bad, super hero and super villain. The advancement of technology is all around us from the cloths we wear to our watches, cars, furniture, music players, to the tallest buildings we can find. We are living in a technopolitan city in a technopolitan country.

a8ipod_small.jpg
Here we have three technologies the I-pod, the bang & Olufsen headphones and a coin. Coined money is an interesting technology because we decided that anything and everything could be “traded� for an amount of this technology.

The Same Number Everywhere.

galaxy.gif
The number phi is an indefinable number that has incredible significance to nature. Phi is found almost everywhere in nature and is most easily seen in spirals such as a galaxy, the spirals in flowers or a seashell.

Phi is also easily seen in this magnificent Vatican staircase.
vatican_staircase3.jpg

The number phi can also be found in the spiral formation of the seeds in sunflowers.
sunflowers.jpg

07919 20060130 0900-38 Batu caves-spf.jpg

The Opposition of the Batu Caves

The Batu Caves are an interesting example of the opposition of man and nature, climate and exposure, and permanence and entropy. These enormous limestone caves which are about seven miles north of the capital city Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia were turned into a Hindu holy place full of and surrounded by Hindu shrines and statues for their gods. The sculptures represent the idea of making the holy place timeless and that these sculptures will last even after they are dead. People obviously chose to allow the “opposition� to sculpt the form but they also responded to the caves’ safety by approaching them with a probabilistic response. They leveled the inside and pored concrete over the ground creating a plane easy for anyone to walk on and they blocked the walls with guard rails to reduce the erosion of the walls from people. The caves have limited natural exposure to light and so the main cave is filled with different lights from buildings and street lamps. There are also areas of the caves without artificial lighting and there are caves and pathways that can be guided to or explored by adventurous people.

A picture of a major shrine in catherdal/ temple cave.
malaysia16.jpg

For more pics go to http://www.flora21.com/minami/world/mare/index4-e.htm

Continue reading "The Opposition of the Batu Caves" »

10_14_baltimore02.jpg

The Rise and Set of Color in the Sky

The Phenomena of Sunsets and Sunrises come from the different angles and components in the air causing the light to scatter in different ways. The sky is generally blue during the day because nitrogen and oxygen molecules make the blue light scatter in a way that makes that color visible for us. We see the red light waves in the morning and at night because we are farther away from the sun and the scattered blue light waves have scattered away from our line of sight. If sky is clear of other particles the sky will become yellow and if there is pollution or other molecules in the air the light is more red or orange. Over the ocean the sunsets are generally orange because the salt from the water makes the light scatter differently. The frameworks of sunsets and sunrises include light and the way we see, oxygen and nitrogen, and other molecules or pollutants in the air. The clockwork of the sky depends on where and when you are on earth. The change of the color of the sky happens at the beginning and end of every day or every time the sun rises and sets. The real phenomena of sunrises and sunsets are in the colors that we see in them. They can be peach, yellow, red orange, pink and a variety of other warm beautiful colors. We can guess but we never really can be sure exactly what color a sunset will be.

A easy cite to learn some more about the colors of the sky is http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/BlueSky/blue_sky.html

1-pacific-sunset .jpg

PArt of FASTCP

th_IMG_0444.jpg

PARt of FASTCP

th_IMG_0442.jpg

PArt of FASTCP

th_IMG_0439-1.jpg

The FASTCP

FASTCP is the Field Around the South Tennis Court in Powderhorn. It is the southwest corner of Powderhorn Park that runs along 10th Ave and 34 1/2 st. The field borders the south and west sides of the four green tennis courts. It extends about 75ft to the street on those sides. The field is where people walk their dogs while doing their routine laps around Powderhorn Park. Local kids and people from around the neighborhood go there to play soccer, fútbol, football, stick/baseball, catch and frisbee. In the field in the summer squirt gun fights and outdoor games take place and in the winter snowmen are built and snowballs are thrown. There are three large elms in the eastern part of the field and an amazing, tall pine tree that can be climbed. Besides those four trees there is one more in the eastern part of the field that in unison with the pine make an incredible goal for soccer games with out enough people. So what makes this field so special? The light, the sun, the shade, the warmth, the abundance of people the absence of people, the barrenness of the snow-covered ground. The softness of the grass under my feet and the feeling of energy. The field makes me want to run. I've climbed the trees, run the field, played tennis, soccer, baseball, football, catch, frisbee, etc. This is where I grew up. This is the Park where I've fully experienced the nature of the city of Minneapolis. In the same fifty square feet I've been beaten up, I've made the greatest catch of my life, I’ve played for countless hours, kissed my girlfriend, been called gay, taken my anger out on the fence with a baseball, and enjoyed many a foolish picnic. So what’s the difference of the atmosphere to me than another person? I have my memories to base my experience of the ambience this field posses. It's a relatively simple field with an amazing sky. The grass is green in the summer, covered in leaves in the fall, frozen over in winter, and muddy untill it turns green again in the spring. I chose this field for it's genius loci based on one specific evening in the summer of 2005. It was about seven or eight o'clock and it was raining. It was still summer so it was still light out and it was one of those rains that more misty than rain and the sun was still attempting to shine through the clouds. These clouds were the most sureal clouds imaginable and I've only ever seen them in Minneapolis a hand full of times. They were a mix of red, pink, peach, orange and other warm colors. The rain was warm and the grass was slick. The air was thick with moisture and there was a rainbow. The field had a warm peach-pink glow as the sunset and everything smelled amazing, fresh and clean, similar to a summer rain in a more natural environment such as the North shore.

Continue reading "The FASTCP" »

midtown-exchange.jpg

LHA20050306095038_2_TN.jpg