« Jonathan K logotype_Stationary | Main | Evan Manthei Experimental Type »

Jonathan K: final project concept

I'm choice my topic about "pollution" to create the poster for final project. My setup is to use all kind of junk/garbage to create the word “pollutionâ€? on a yard and take the photo of it. I will try on different angle and pick the best one. I very much like 45Âș views from a top.

I also had second idea is about teenage and drug. Here my setup is use the needles, syringe, spoon, lighter, alcohol bottle, white powder and all others stuff relate to drug to create the words (I looking for on the message now). Words will setup on the table with teenage boy in process of shoot-up. The light source in front (or behind) of him to created his shadow into the wall. Picture will take from the angle of just the table with message and the shadow only (no pose in the picture).

I need the feedback on these 2 ideas, which one is stronger, more interest for the final.

John, for the pollution I feel that you need set this up in a public place, not just a backyard. Or set up a backyard to look like a public place. Yesterday we talked about using a fence to set up the word, try that, use all type of junk to spell the word, tape to the fence, and have a lot of other shit surounding it, behind the fence, infront the fence, in front of the word itself. Put people in the background totally obvious to the pollution, which is sadly what happens everyday.

For the drug idea, well I do not like it as much as the pollution. What is the message? What type of message are you going for? We all know that some drugs are bad, here it sounds like you are talking herion, which is real bad and addictive is that the message. But what about other drugs, that are as dangerous, but not alot of people know about it, and it doesn't get much air time. Prescription drugs, and other pills is what comes to mind for me, abused mainly by upperclass white kids. If you use a person for this poster, who are you going to use. Are you going to use a minority shooting up? If you do it is just going to look like another poor minority doing drugs, something that people have seen on T.V. and on posters thousands of times. Or are you going to do the opposite and shock people by having a rich guy doing drugs something that happens, but is not seen.
All this stuff comes from personal experince and strong opinions about this subject. You may agree or disagree, but I just want you to think about this and the message that you are going to use, that's all.