Main | Emotional Brand Loyalty »

Opposition

Three questions to answer from Senior Seminar (chapter on opposition):

1) To what sustained uses, other than its familiar and largely unquestioned commercial uses, might graphic design be applied?

2) How and where should designers who wish to engage in a rule-breaking post modernism of resistance position themselves?

3) What forms, in terms of style, might an oppositional graphic design assume at this point?

Graphic design is a style of art used in commercialism such as advertising however it can also be portrayed in galleries or museums, on clothing, or in webpages.It can depict common, iconic images like the Pepsi logo, or it can be unique and personal (one of a kind).

1.The genre of graphic design can be applied to many different media. Advertising of course is a major outlet of graphics and design in print form as well as video, television, and the web. Graphic designers may include vehicle-wraps and engraving in the portfolios.

2. If I opted to be a "rule-breaker" I would probably run the project, ie a poster, by a group of my peers to get a feel for the attitude and kinds of questions I would run up against. Undoubtedly there would be questions from the public as a whole and I would like to have an answer for the unexpected questions. Not just "because I think it's cool!"
'The place' to be recognized for unexpected, unbounded art is probably New York but because the internet is also boundless, one wouldn't have to make that trek.

3. In terms of style, the oppositional graphic designer may go in any direction. He/she may choose to redirect the look of a certain style or come up with an entirely new one. Of course, that could be risky. If your audience is expecting a certain look or nostalgic feel, your innovative design may not work.
So my suggestion ... either find a new style or a new audience who will appreciate the freshness of you approach. That is why New Yorkers are supposedly 'the happening crowd'. They can have an "in you face" approach but stereotypically are more accepting of new ideas. New York historically wanted to break from the shiekness of Paris and come into their own greatness.

1) Aesthetic purposes. It could be used as more of an art form. Graphic Design is already a form of art, yes, but I mean applying it as a more formal art. For example, as a painter paints what he wants to see, then the only purpose after it is finished is to view and enjoy it.

2) In the here and now. I think that postmodern design is something that should just be done. I think a designer should just create just as they are currently doing. If a work comes out to be postmodern, then it will contrast with current designs.

3) In terms of style, I think that an oppositional designer should try to develop the certain strategies that will help him grow in the postmodern aspects of design. To continue to study what makes work postmodern and to design in that sense.

1. Public service messages really seem to benefit the most. The cigarette "TRUTH" campaign. Comparing Light cigarettes to bullets. I also think that TV shows like to use Opposition thought process to boost ratings. G4 tv channel has a show called "Attack of the Show". Almost 1/4 of the show is filled with skits, that use ads or commercials and spin them with the Opposition thought process. I personally identify with the twisted satire.

2. It seems that post modernism has a huge nitch with public service messages and seems to evolve with the music industry.

3. Oppositional graphic design seems to have a mainstream acceptance. I hear more about a design or a tv commercial if there is some kind of twist of the obvious. It's might be what gets everyone reading ads or actually watching a commercial.

1: Well, other than wasting our ability to sell a bunch of meaningless crap, graphic design can use its skill to communicate ideas, feelings, and inform the general public on various issues, on what is going on. Although, these can be used for “good? and “bad,? applying our ability to create meaningful, passionate communication is far better than wasting it to sell a cup of coffee, or a BigMac. Graphic design can be applied for social change. A type of voice for the people.

3: At this point i believe two styles can come into play. One is to make a parody of whatever the designer has opposition to. Make it look like what it is, but with an opposite message. So the viewer can say “Oh I’ve seen that before. Wait a minute something is off.? That is when the viewer picks up the message that the designer is trying to communicate. This can be either comedic or serious.
The other style I see is a style that can be anything other than the style that is present today. In other words a style that people do not normally see. Crazy or simple, something that gets the message across that the designer is trying to communicate, just not today’s crazy or today’s simple, just something opposite from the rest of the styles so it can stand out from the others. Making it more visible to be seen and read by the public.

1. The worth of graphic design is its role in moments of popular culture. It is times when graphic design has contributed to inflicting change on society. Design for positive change such as in advancement and growth, which benefits humans, animals and the environment is another way that affect us than simply serving the purpose of commerical usage in advertisement.
2. I think the postmodern designer who chooses to engage in “rule breaking? has to continue and pursue the practices that would carry out the best delivery visual effect and contextual message, which s/he intends for the viewers. Does it matter when their position already labeled?
3. The style must contain brand new form that does not currently exist. It should reflect contemporary cultural developments. It must give content to call attention, set the tone in the creation of new visual language, and thus contribute to the emergence of cultural trends.