Ovid Medline and New Firefox Update.

I helped a patron this morning who was unable to display any citations from any Ovid Medline searches that she performed. She was using Firefox as her web browser. When I had her try the same search using Internet Explorer she was able to display her results just fine. I talked to Steve Irons about the problem and he informed me that people have been experiencing some compatibility problems with the new Firefox update. Ovid is working fine on our computers but if you have any patrons contact you about not being able to display records in Ovid Medline, ask if they are using Firefox and suggest that they use Internet Explorer instead and please let me know. I will contact Ovid and let them know about the problem. Del

Wireless Updates

Also, this note (via the All-Staff list)...

Hello,
Laptop users may be getting a pop-up for this update in the near future. (You should go ahead and click yes to this particular update.)
Please see note below from OIT, which was in today's U of M Brief.
If you have any questions or run into problems, feel free to contact autosys.
Thanks,
Libraries Computer Support Helpdesk

************************************************
From: U of M Brief

UPDATE YOUR WIRELESS CONFIGURATION TO AVOID INTERRUPTION. This applies to UMTC, UMR, and some extension sites. Those who use the U of M Secure wireless network on the Twin Cities campus will need to make a slight configuration change to continue connecting to the network. In February, OIT engineers are installing a new security certificate, used to authenticate the network, "wireless.netaccess.umn.edu." This means users must change their computer configuration settings to "trust" the "AddTrust External CA Root" certificate authority. After February, users may remove trust configurations for the previously used "Thawte Premium Server CA" certificate authority. For help configuring your computer, see wireless setup guides. For help, call 1-HELP, or see OIT support.

Problem with PDFs and Macs (? - possibly browser-related instead of platform-related)

Just putting this note from Scott Marsalis (which came through the AskUs list) in a central place where we can find it later if necessary...

"I've become aware in the past couple of days of a number of people suddenly having problems opening articles in pdf when using a Mac. At least one of these is able to open successfully when using Firefox, but not Safari. Another user was using Chrome when she had the problem.

So, if you get questions about problems opening articles, make sure to ask if they are on a Mac, and if so, ask if they can try using Firefox, and see if that solves the problem.

Any Mac users out there who can experiment, please share your findings!

An update - It also is a problem when using Chrome on my PC, not IE or Firefox, so it seems browser-related, rather than platform."

Saving a PDF when there are no menus or "save" icon

I had a question from a student who was trying to download/save articles from her class e-reserves site, but when the PDF loaded there wasn't a "save" icon so she didn't know how to save the article. I know I occasionally end up with a PDF in an Adobe Reader window without any of the icons at the top, so you've also probably run across this question at some point.

I don't know exactly what causes the problem (probably the settings in Adobe Reader on the computer itself) but I think a solution is to hold the Shift+Ctrl+S keys at the same time. This is is the shortcut to save a copy of the PDF, so that should work if the PDF doesn't have the save icon.

Liz

Reference Computer B and Remote Access

Peter Weinhold has just informed me that we can once again use Reference Computer B to mimic remote access. I tested it with Ovid Medline and Peter tested it with Micromedex and we were both prompted for our x.500 user name and password. Let me know if you have problems with this working in the future.

Del

Username and Password for Desktop Computer in 274

Here is the user name and password for the desktop computer in room 274, the consultation room:
User name: refconsult
Password: sh0wm3
I have placed a copy of the password on a yellow sheet of paper in the desk drawer to the left of the computer.

Del

Active Directory Redux - reminder for those teaching in the Pit

Going along with Jim's note about getting Active Directory questions at the desk - if you are teaching classes in the Pit, remember, whenever possible, to notify students in advance to check their Active Directory status. That way, you hopefully won't end up with a class full of people who can't get into the computers. Here is a sample of an email I send to classes in advance:

"I'm looking forward to seeing your N8170 students on Tuesday at 2:20! The library computers require students to be registered with something called Active Directory to log into the machines, and if they haven't used computers in the library over the last semester, they probably aren't signed up. It's a really quick registration process, but it would make things go much more smoothly on Tuesday if you could have the students make sure their Active Directory accounts are enabled in advance.

Could you send an email to the class and ask them to complete this short process?
1. Go to www.umn.edu/dirtools.
2. Log in with your Internet ID/X.500 username and password
3. Click on "Active Directory Account Options"
4. Choose to activate your University of Minnesota Active Directory account
5. Click the Submit button
6. Close Window/Log Out

This is all they need to do, and they may find that their Active Directory account is already enabled. Let me know if you have any questions - I'll see the class on Tuesday at 2:20!"

Remember too that you can get guest logins from the circ desk, or talk to Peter for another solution if you know you'll have a big class where no one is registered. You can also have a laptop set up to quickly enable people's accounts on the fly.

Just a reminder to be prepared! Since it's been a year, I forgot that this might be an issue when teaching in the Pit, and it's a very miserable surprise to have. Thanks!

Liz

Active Directory

Randy and I have had several questions from students trying to log on to our computers, and determined that these are Active Directory issues. Be prepared to help people set up their accounts.

Jim