Problem w/Using Find It to import cites from GS to RefWorks

Hi all,

Yesterday I helped a patron who had been exclusively using Google Scholar to find citations for her research. She was using the Find It link within Google Scholar to bring citations into her RW account.

She didn't notice it at the time, but apparently using the 'Export to RefWorks' link within Find It from GS only brought the first author name into her RW account.

I tested this and had the same experience. I then tested importing from GS using the preferences method (this puts the 'Import to RefWorks' link at the bottom of the citation and snippet). This method does bring in all author names.

I tested using Find It again, this time in PubMed and did get all the author names. So this may be limited to using the Find It menu within Google Scholar to bring in references.

Personally, I've never been a fan of using Find It to import into RW, especially when you are in a database. It doesn't make too much sense to me to import one at a time, when you can batch send, but since GS doesn't give you an option to batch send you are stuck using Find It or setting the preferences option.

I've opened a help ticket on this so I'll write back and let you all know what I hear, but in the interim just keep this one in mind. I'd be interested to hear if anyone here actually teaches the Find It menu as a way to send items to RW.

Lisa

EndNote X3 Configuration for Finding U of M full-text

Today we had a call at the desk asking how to configure EndNote X3 software to find U of M full text. We referred the patron to Jon Jeffryes at Sci/Eng and here's his steps on how to do this:

1. To set up the authorization you'll want to go to Edit in the top EndNote Menu and select "Preferences"

2. A new box (EndNote Preferences) will appear. From the left hand column select "Find Full Text"

3. In the OpenURL path you'll want to type (or copy and paste) this url: http://tc.liblink.umn.edu/sfx_local
4. For Authenticate with: URL box you'll want to type (or copy and paste) this url: https://www.lib.umn.edu/slog.phtml?url=

5. Then click "Apply"

Even with the authenticated Find Full Text...I'm not certain that EndNote is able to check all of our online access. So I usually suggest this as a first go-round and then double check the citations that don't bring in any full text to make sure that EndNote didn't miss something.

Pilot program support for Biostatistics 1 (PubH 6450)

Hi all,

This fall semester Chacko is piloting a program where he is providing curriculum support to students enrolled in PubH 6450, Biostatistics 1. This is a core course for all students pursuing an MPH degree. This pilot program begins on 9/21/09.

Chacko will hold office hours in room 350 on Mondays from 9-10 and on Wednesdays from 10-11. He'll be in room 274 on Wednesdays from 3-4 and on Fridays from 2-4. He'll also be available by appointment. Even though the pilot hasn't really begun, he's already been asked for help by students.

If you have any questions about this pilot, please contact Chacko.

LIsa