Ovid search display problems resolved! Yahooooo!

Hi all,

It appears that the display problems with the Ovid interface that have been plaguing certain off-campus users for the last few months are now resolved, thanks to Shane's work with OIT. It's displaying and functioning properly for all of the people who had reported problems in all browsers. So, for now, it seems like that problem is solved.

If you get any calls similar to this, have people try clearing their browser cache to see if it works. Let me know if any other weird things pop up.

I'm not completely sure about the Ovid PDF display problems - Shane thought this should solve that too, but my users who have this problem haven't been as responsive so it's hard to test. I'm hoping everything is hunky dory now, though.

Yay!
Liz

Update on Ovid display problems

HI everyone - here's the latest update with the ongoing saga of a small subset of people experiencing consistent problems with the Ovid search display when connecting from off campus. Shane has been working on this maddening problem by tweaking proxy settings, and may have made some headway. After the latest tweak, our test user can now see Ovid correctly in IE. It still doesn't work correctly in Firefox or Chrome, but this is the first time we have a (possible) workaround to offer people.

Since this isn't a problem we can replicate on any of our computers, we're relying on the users with the problems to test for us (which is why this is taking sooooo loooooong). I sent out an email to the list of users I knew of with problems asking them to test it in their different browsers and let me know what's happening, but I haven't heard back from any yet. So, I have no idea if this is a real fix, but if you get the question, have the user try it in IE.

Also, please grab their name and email address and send it to me so I can add it to the list of people with known problems. If you're in a conversation with them and can do so, find out the other browsers/versions they're using and if Ovid works in those. Otherwise, I'll email them afterward and get that info.

This problem is still flummoxing our IT folks, but if we have a workaround (IE) and we can gather browser data, then that's definite progress.

Let me know if you have questions. Thanks!
Liz

Cancer links to Cancer Cytopathology

As some of you have already discovered, the find it link for Cancer is linking to Cancer Cytopathology on Wiley. We are working on a fix and if you find other Wiley titles
with linking problems, please let me know.

Thank you,
Amy
akla0002@umn.edu

ACS Journal Service Disruption

Passed along by Meghan Lafferty ----

System disruption to ACS Publications content, April 27, 2010

ACS Publications is experiencing a severe system disruption resulting in complete or partial loss of access across our ACS Web Editions products including journals, e-books and archives for many of our customers worldwide. We apologize for the inconvenience to you and your patrons. We are working diligently to both restore access as well as trace the root cause of the issue.

While we are working to resolve this issue, your institution may have access partially restored across a limited number of products or features. However, when full access is restored and stable we will send you another email to confirm.

Please visit the Librarian Resource Center (http://pubs.acs.org/4librarians) homepage for up to the minute bulletins on the current situation.

We are also reviewing our customer service and alerting procedures for major interruptions and will be posting our 24 hour Help Desk protocols more prominently for easy access in the future.

PLEASE NOTE: You may receive system generated emails confirming online access to ACS journals with a list of your holdings. Please disregard this message and any action items it contains. As stated earlier, we will contact you directly notifying you when this issue is completely resolved.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this.

Best,

S. Sara Rouhi
Library Relations
ACS Publications
1155 16th St., NW
Washington, DC 20036
http://pubs.acs.org/4librarians

Reference Computer B and Remote Access

Peter Weinhold has just informed me that we can once again use Reference Computer B to mimic remote access. I tested it with Ovid Medline and Peter tested it with Micromedex and we were both prompted for our x.500 user name and password. Let me know if you have problems with this working in the future.

Del

CINAHL server problems

When you try to access CINAHL you may see this error message:

A System Problem has Occurred
To begin a new session, please login again.

I just spoke with Ebsco and there is a problem with that server. They did not have an eta but said it should be fixed soon.

Amy Claussen

Informa Healthcare journals to unite on single platform

There was a question regarding Drug Metabolism Reviews linking to full text in PubMed. The most recent volume is not available on the Informa site via Find It. The new volume is on the InformaPharma site via a full text link in PubMed, however, we cannot access the full text. I am working with Informa to get access for this title. If you find any other Informaworld titles with online access issues, please let me know.

DrugMetabRev.bmp

Amy

Announcement from Informa:

Informa Healthcare's peer-reviewed medical titles will be joining the company's pharmaceutical science titles to form one, united platform for drug discovery and clinical medicine on www.InformaAccess.com .

This new development combines the medicine and pharmaceutical science titles to simplify the customer experience in one new, easy to use, robust platform that will deliver online content and archive material from more than 170 journals.

All of the journals will utilize the online content management and delivery system provided by Atypon Systems, Inc. - a platform provider for over 70 information providers including JSTOR, New England Journal of Medicine and the American Chemical Society.

The new platform offers the option of online trials, advanced searching, alerting, and single article purchases. The beta site on the new platform is scheduled for release in summer 2009 and the complete transition will continue through to the end of this calendar year. There will be a dual-hosting period with the informaworld platform, which currently hosts the medicine content, through 2009 allowing for a gradual migration, and the site will provide reports and statistics to help subscribers analyze usage.

We encourage all feedback throughout the transition and will do everything possible to make the transition as seamless and easy as possible.