« Soprano Line Mendelssohn 9/21/07 | Main | 9/28: Mendelssohn II »

9/21/2007

I felt fairly good about conducting on Friday. One of my major problems in the past dealt with me moving from my shoulder instead of my collar bone. I think this was fairly successful for me. I did not get tired and felt I could move around very well.
One of my biggest issues in Friday's lab was staying with the beat pattern. I know that the beat pattern is not always set in stone, but I felt I could have stayed with it a little better. I try to do more creative things with my left hand which sometimes takes my focus away from the pattern. This shows me the pattern is not fully ingrained yet. Also, I try to do expressive motions with my right hand which distracts me, sometimes, to the point of getting lost.
I noticed fairly often that my motions were not big enough or influential enough. I need to get more comfortable just throwing myself out there. This holds true to some of the teaching exercises I have done as well. It seems as though since I know what I want that everyone else will automatically get it. However, when you are in front of the class conducting, or teaching, the response is great instant feedback. I will definitely try to be more clear with my gestures for the next lab.

Jon

Some excellent observations. You seemed to be tuned to the things you need to do next. Stay positive and refelctive as we go through these first weeks and I know you'll come out pleased with your progress.

Jonathan,

You are wise to recognize the difference between how expressive a gesture feels to you and how it is reading to the ensemble. Let the response be you guide.

Jonathan,

You are wise to recognize the difference between how expressive a gesture feels to you and how it is reading to the ensemble. Let the response be your guide.