« Friday, September 21 | Main | 9/21: Mendelssohn I »

Friday, September 21st: Mendelssohn Soprano

Overall I was very pleased with my conducting for the soprano line of the Mendelssohn. I felt that had a strong grasp on the legato 3/4 pattern. It felt very connected and I believe I was using my entire arm with shoulder because I did not get tired at all. I was pretty surprised how independent my left arm was and I think I was able to shape a lot of the sounds. There was defiantly an emotional connection to the piece and I felt that I was connected to the group and exhibited good eye contact throughout.
While I breathed on almost every entrance, it was pointed out that I need to take the appropriate breath for the kind of sound I want to create. I also need to release that breath. I focus so strongly on breathing with the group that I forget to exhale and the sound of the group then suffers. I also need pay attention to my stance. It was addressed that I need to establish a well grounded position before I begin conducting. Then I will be able to have a more solid foundation which will allow me to move around a little bit more throughout the piece. Finally, I really need to work on not trying to make things perfect. I am a Type A person and this is something that I will need to acknowledge while conducting. Music is not supposed to be "perfect".
Thank you to my group and Professor Mehaffey for their great feedback!

Kate

You did a wonderful job in calss this week. You bring a wonderful sense of groundedness to the podium, which allows your musical gestures to evoke sound wonderful sounds. I also felt you were really listening to the choir, which is very hard to teach. Kudos!

Do concentrate on exchanging air as you conduct. This will breathe more life into the musical line and will allow your gesture to become even more expressive.

Kate

A good eye contact is part of your communication skills that makes it more effective for you to connect with the audience. You also need to be comfortable when doing a presentation so that you won't lose focus.

In presentations, good communication skills is very important for the success of the presentation. You need to deliver the message to the audience clearly and make them understand.