« Concert and rehearsal review | Main | Concert Review - "Noye's Fludde" with Phillip Brunelle »

Concert Review

I went to a concert at DeForest High School. It was a concert with the freshman, womens, and concert choir. There was an obvious difference in ability level and repertoire. Even though abilities differed greatly, most of the concert was almost all sacred material. I found the music interesting and appropriate, but I feel that it could have been a bit more varied and multi cultural. Maybe this is the elementary school "teacher" coming out inme, but I feel that singing all the same, sacred music is a little boring for the audience and does not neccesarily give the greatest cultural exposure for the students.

As an educator, I would rather involve a varied repertoire for my students. The conductor also seemed to micro-manage every aspect while on the podium. I know younger singers need the extra support but I feel that in order to let them grow, you need to step back and create some room for mistakes and personal experiments. The concert did not overall sit well with me. I felt that the director was very bias in her repertoire choices and created an environment where she was the only creative performer.

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I'm hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.