April 4, 2008: Wood River
I was unable to run the ending of this piece the first time around so that is why I wanted to get another go at it in class. When dealing with the soloist and choir, I got a little turned around and I was not ready for that. Honestly, I didn't think it was going to be that difficult but it did present some challenges. For instance, I was trying to do too much at once. Dr. Mehaffey pointed out that I really only have to conduct the choir and then let the soloist "do her thing." This helped but I was still a little "hand tied." I will have to work with this a little more before we go back to Central for the final.
On another note, I think I was very clear before and after the soloist section. I was able to prep all beats and be true to the dynamic markings. Also, I think the final few measures went smoothly because I think I was clear and everyone was looking at me. This week went well and I was pretty pleased.