« Britten | Main | Friday, May 2nd: "Rejoice in the Lamb" »

Britten

I think that part of the reason I rushed the piece so much on Friday was due to the fact that I practiced it that fast. I know that is not that quick, but when it is ingrained in your mind at that temp, it is hard to switch. I will just need to work on keeping it slower and consistent.
Another reason for rushing is the quarter notes. Since most of the piece moves on eighth and sixteenth notes, I feel like the quarter notes are too long. I will have to work on pulsing the eighth note when I am conducting.
I feel like I have the piece technically worked out. I know all of my beat patterns pretty well, but I do not know what to do with the dynamics. i did talk with Matt and Andrew after class about changing the plain of the gesture. I think this will work well, but it is not something I am used to. I like making the soft gesture small and the loud gesture big. I will just need to develop a larger level of comfort with the planar adjustment.
I was thinking about things and am really disappointed this is almost over. I feel like I am just now starting to get comfortable with conducting. I wish we had one more class to improve even more. I know I still need to work on things like my big gestures, keeping myself grounded and my cutoffs. I know I can do this on my own, but it would be nice to be able to work on these things for another semester and especially with a choir...sort of. I have a fairly open semester next fall. Is there anything we can take?