Freedom

OK. So, today I had lunch at Leann Chins - yes, I know. Somehow in my mind I convinced myself it would be better FOR ME to eat there instead of like - Arbys or something. Really. Anyway, I was minding my own business and eating my greasy noodle pile when I distinctly heard an argument. You know, a raised voice and words like, "Friday! What about Friday! I was trying to make plans with my boyfriend on Friday and all you can do is....hey - let me finish! Let me finish!", etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, keep in mind this is Leann Chins - a public establishment.

I try to be discrete and looked up to see what was going on. (We all do this by the way - try and be discrete - in an emergency it will get us nowhere fast.) So, there is this woman standing in line having this argument with....her cell phone! That is right. Actually, it wasn't even that apparent. She had one of those ear buds with her cell phone in her pocket. So it looked like she was arguing with the peking chicken.

Anyway, she is in line getting a greasy noodle pile for lunch and having an argument with the air...or something. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with that, maybe nothing, but it was weird. She didn't even stop arguing to pay. Just handed over her credit card and kept right on yelling..oh wait. The person she was yellilng at hung up so there was a small respite. Not much though. It went like, "Don't you hang up on me! Don't hang...Damn!" And then many nonverbals like shaking her head, rolling her eyes, and yanking the phone out of her pocket to call the person back that hung up when they weren't supposed to.

So, I don't really have any said conclusions but it was an interesting observation of information age human behavior. I guess one thing I can say is I kind of envied her. Her ability to live her life. Have an argument and not really care about what everyone else around her was thinking. (And believe me they were thinking stuff) There is so much freedom in what she was doing. I think I wish I were that free...